LIST: Living members of the Baseball Hall of Fame
2018-06-07 04:38:04 UTC
This list has been updated to reflect the death of Red Schoendienst,
formerly at position #1.

There are currently 76 living members of the Hall of Fame. This includes
68 players, five managers, and three executives. (Most managers were
former players and many players later become managers, but they are
usually voted into the Hall as one or the other, as their career merits).

Of the 68 players, 64 were voted in by the baseball writers association,
which has the primary responsibility for selecting which players will be
in the Hall of Fame. Players who are no longer under consideration by the
baseball writers can be voted in by the veterans committee - known since
2011 as the "historical overview committee." (It is generally considered
more prestigious to be inducted by the baseball writers, rather than
through the veterans committee's "back door.")

The veterans committee/historical overview committee is also responsible
for inducting non-players, including managers, executives, and umpires.

The list below gives each living Hall member, in order of date of birth.
It also indicates how each member was inducted. The absence of a
designation means "player inducted by the baseball writers."

David Carson

------------------------------
Living members of the Baseball Hall of Fame

1. Tommy Lasorda, b. 9/22/1927 (manager, veterans committee)
2. Whitey Ford, b. 10/21/1928
3. Willie Mays, b. 5/6/1931
4. Whitey Herzog, b. 11/9/1931 (manager, veterans committee)
5. Hank Aaron, b. 2/5/1934
6. Luis Aparicio, b. 4/29/1934
7. Bud Selig, b. 7/30/1934 (executive, historical overview committee)
8. Al Kaline, b. 12/19/1934
9. Frank Robinson, b. 8/31/1935
10. Bob Gibson, b. 11/9/1935
11. Sandy Koufax, b. 12/30/1935
12. Bill Mazeroski, b. 9/5/1936 (veterans committee)
13. Brooks Robinson, b. 5/18/1937
14. Pat Gillick, b. 8/22/1937 (executive, historical overview committee)
15. Orlando Cepeda, b. 9/17/1937 (veterans committee)
16. Juan Marichal, b. 10/20/1937
17. Willie McCovey, b. 1/10/1938
18. Billy Williams, b. 6/15/1938
19. Gaylor Perry, b. 9/15/1938
20. Phil Niekro, b. 4/1/1939
21. Lou Brock, b. 6/18/1939
22. Carl Yastrzemski, b. 8/22/1939
23. Joe Torre, b. 7/18/1940 (manager, historical overview committee)
24. John Schuerholz, b. 10/1/1940 (executive, HOC)
25. Bobby Cox, b. 5/21/1941 (manager, historical overview committee)
26. Tony Perez, b. 5/14/1942
27. Joe Morgan, b. 09/19/1943
28. Ferguson Jenkins, b. 12/13/1943
29. Tony La Russa, b. 10/4/1944 (manager, historical overview committee)
30. Tom Seaver, b. 11/17/1944
31. Steve Carlton, b. 12/22/1944
32. Don Sutton, b. 4/2/1945
33. Rod Carew, b. 10/1/1945
34. Jim Palmer, b. 10/15/1945
35. Reggie Jackson, b. 5/18/1946
36. Rollie Fingers, b. 08/25/1946
37. Nolan Ryan, b. 1/31/1947
38. Johnny Bench, b. 12/7/1947
39. Carlton Fisk, b. 12/26/1947
40. Mike Schmidt, b. 9/27/1949
41. Bert Blyleven, b. 4/6/1951
42. Goose Gossage, b. 7/5/1951
43. Dave Winfield, b. 10/3/1951
44. Bruce Sutter, b. 1/8/1953
45. Jim Rice, b. 3/8/1953
46. George Brett, b. 5/15/1953
47. Andre Dawson, b. 7/10/1954
48. Dennis Eckersley, b. 10/3/1954
49. Ozzie Smith, b. 12/26/1954
50. Jack Morris, b. 5/16/1955 (HOC)
51. Robin Yount, b. 9/16/1955
52. Eddie, Murray, b. 2/24/1956
53. Paul Molitor, b. 8/22/1956
54. Alan Trammell, b. 2/21/1958 (HOC)
55. Wade Boggs, b. 6/15/1958
56 Rickey Henderson, b. 12/25/1958
57. Tim Raines, b. 9/16/1959
58. Ryne Sandberg, b. 9/18/1959
59. Cal Ripken Jr., b. 8/24/1960
60. Randy Johnson, b. 9/10/1963
61. Barry Larkin, b. 4/28/1964
62. Craig Biggio, b. 12/14/1965
63. Tom Glavine, b. 3/25/1966
64. Greg Maddux, b. 4/14/1966
65. John Smlotz, b. 5/15/1967
66. Trevor Horrman, b. 10/13/1967
67. Roberto Alomar, b. 2/5/1968
68. Frank Thomas, b. 5/27/1968
69. Jeff Bagwell, b. 5/27/1968
70. Mike Piazza, b. 9/4/1969
71. Ken Griffey Jr., b. 11/21/1969
72. Jim Thome, b. 8/27/1970
73. Pedro Martinez, b. 10/25/1971
74. Ivan Rodriguez, b. 11/27/1971
75. Chipper Jones, b. 4/24/1972
76. Vladimir Guerrero, b. 2/9/1975
------------------------------

Living Members of the Baseball Hall of Fame
http://www.doadb.com/bbhof.htm

"Death is a part of baseball."
"Oh, yeah ... It's the main part."
- heard on The Simpsons
David Carson
2018-06-07 04:54:46 UTC
Post by David Carson
------------------------------
Living members of the Baseball Hall of Fame
1. Tommy Lasorda, b. 9/22/1927 (manager, veterans committee)
Until today, the oldest living Hall of Famer was always someone who was
generally from before my time. Technically, Red Schoendienst was a manager
for a few years after I started following baseball, but he was finishing
out his career then. But I remember when Tommy Lasorda started managing
the Dodgers, and I remember the peak years of his career, in the 1980s,
very well. So, for Tommy Lasorda to be #1 on this list depresses me.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Michael OConnor
2018-06-07 05:20:29 UTC
I started watching baseball as a kid in the early 70's, and remember seeing Wiile Mays winding up his career wearing a Mets uniform in 1973. Willie Mays turned 87 years old last month.

Joe Morgan, my favorite opposition player as a kid, (I was a Pittsburgh Pirates fan) turns 75 in September.

I remember watching Nolan Ryan throw no-hitters in 1990 and 1991; Nolan Ryan turned 71 in January.

George Brett turned 65 last month.

Cal Ripken Jr. turns 60 in a little over two years.

The Big Hurt turned 50 a little over a week ago.

Ken Griffey Jr., the Kid, turns 50 right before Thanksgiving next year.

That depresses me.
Louis Epstein
2018-06-11 06:31:15 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by David Carson
------------------------------
Living members of the Baseball Hall of Fame
1. Tommy Lasorda, b. 9/22/1927 (manager, veterans committee)
Until today, the oldest living Hall of Famer was always someone who was
generally from before my time. Technically, Red Schoendienst was a manager
for a few years after I started following baseball, but he was finishing
out his career then. But I remember when Tommy Lasorda started managing
the Dodgers, and I remember the peak years of his career, in the 1980s,
very well. So, for Tommy Lasorda to be #1 on this list depresses me.
David Carson
I remember when Alston managed the Dodgers as well,
with Walter O'Malley extending only one-year contracts.

Schoendienst got so close to 2000 career games as a manager
I wish they'd let him reach the milestone.

The youngest HoFer you list was born when I was in high school!