Deathwatch: Toys R Us
Jason
2018-03-09 23:25:10 UTC
Bankrupt retailer Toys "R" Us may shut all its US stores as soon as next week, according to several reports.
That's terrible news for the two biggest publicly traded toy companies. Investors are clearly preparing for the worst. Shares of Hasbro (HAS) fell 3.5% Friday morning while Mattel (MAT) plunged 7%.

Smaller toy company Jakks Pacific (JAKK) fell nearly 5% too. Canada's Spin Master, which owns the popular line of Hatchimals toys, was down about 3% as well on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

And everything isn't awesome for privately held European toy giant Lego either. The plastic bricks maker reported its first sales drop in thirteen years earlier this week. So these are clearly tough times for the toy makers.

A spokesperson for Toys "R" Us declined to comment on the liquidation chatter.

Toys "R" Us recently went into administration in the UK, paving the path for stores there to shut their doors. And the potential closing of Toys "R" Us in America would be a particularly huge blow to Hasbro and Mattel.

According to recent regulatory filings from both companies, Toys "R" Us accounted for nearly 10% of the companies' overall sales.

Toys "R" Us is the last megastore dedicated to toys. Without it, toymakers will struggle to promote anything but their most popular items.

The death of a top customer is the last thing that Mattel and Hasbro need right now.

Further info and a lengthy treatise on the woes of Mattel and Hasbro can be read at

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/09/investing/toys-r-us-closing-hasbro-mattel/index.html?sr=twCNN030918toys-r-us-closing-hasbro-mattel1248PMStory
Michael OConnor
2018-03-09 23:46:24 UTC
Barbie and He-Man could not be reached for comment.
Larc
2018-03-10 00:28:00 UTC
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 15:46:24 -0800 (PST), Michael OConnor <***@aol.com> wrote:

| Barbie and He-Man could not be reached for comment.

Barbie is 58 today, so may be out somewhere celebrating her birthday.

Larc
Michael OConnor
2018-03-10 00:46:03 UTC
No doubt out with all her galpals - black Barbie, Hijab Barbie, Chinese Barbie, Ken.
RH Draney
2018-03-10 03:11:25 UTC
Post by Larc
| Barbie and He-Man could not be reached for comment.
Barbie is 58 today, so may be out somewhere celebrating her birthday.
Few of the kids I grew up with realized was that Barbie is two years
older than Ken, so may be the first "cougar" most of my generation was
introduced to....r
e***@aol.com
2018-03-10 06:24:01 UTC
And so it seems that you still have no idea what a "cougar"is.
RH Draney
2018-03-10 07:08:22 UTC
Post by e***@aol.com
Post by RH Draney
Post by Larc
| Barbie and He-Man could not be reached for comment.
Barbie is 58 today, so may be out somewhere celebrating her birthday.
Few of the kids I grew up with realized was that Barbie is two years
older than Ken, so may be the first "cougar" most of my generation was
introduced to....r
And so it seems that you still have no idea what a "cougar"is.
When you're the age that plays with Barbies, a woman dating a man two
years younger is a cougar....r
Hudson Hornet
Not to mention Claus Barbie.
r***@gmail.com
2018-03-10 04:35:31 UTC
Post by Jason
[...]
The biggest tragedy is that without Toys R Us and that big giraffe, it allows Amazon and WalMart to be even more powerful and more influential than they already are.

And you lose a bit of your childhood if you can't shop in a toy store as a kid and be all wide eyed full of wonder.
David Carson
2018-03-10 14:27:11 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
The biggest tragedy is that without Toys R Us and that big giraffe, it allows Amazon and WalMart to be even more powerful and more influential than they already are.
To all other toy stores, Toys R Us is or was the Wal-Mart.
Post by r***@gmail.com
And you lose a bit of your childhood if you can't shop in a toy store as a kid and be all wide eyed full of wonder.
They didn't have Toys R Us where I lived when I was a kid, and we did OK.
My toy store was the Sears catalogue, the Amazon of those days.

But overall, I agree with you that retail is going in the wrong direction.
I want to shop in brick-and-mortar stores, preferably owner-operated ones.
And I despise driving to a store to make a purchase to be told that the
item I want is only available online. It's as if the stores *want* to
close.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com