Don Ohlmeyer, 72, NBC exec; original producer, Mon. Night Football; buddy of OJSimpson
2017-09-11 03:04:47 UTC
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-ohlmeyer-man-who-fired-norm-macdonald-snl-dies-at-72-1037491

Don Ohlmeyer, Former NBC West Coast President, Dies at 72

7:50 PM PDT 9/10/2017
by Abid Rahman

Ohlmeyer had a long career in television production but is best known for firing Norm MacDonald from 'SNL' reportedly for off-color jokes about his friend O.J. Simpson.

Television producer and longtime NBC exec Don Ohlmeyer has died. He was 72.

Known for his long association with NFL coverage on ABC and NBC, Ohlmeyer's passing was announced by his former colleague and friend Al Michaels on NBC's Sunday Night Football.

Michaels said: "With great sadness, I have to report on the death of a great pal, a man who was one of a kind, Don Ohlmeyer. Don the original producer of Monday Night Football when he was in his 20s. He made NBC an entertainment powerhouse in the '80s and '90s, a must-see during that particular time, he came back and produced Monday Night Football in 2000... Our thoughts and prayers to LJ and Don's four boys, he was truly special and one of a kind."

More to come...

c***@aol.com
2017-09-11 03:11:18 UTC
He was a scumbag who supported a double murderer to the end
d***@gmail.com
2017-09-11 04:32:42 UTC
A little rough. He had a long life and career, that was the worst of it. He foolishly believed in his friend. Ohmmeyer famously fired Norm McDonald (Norm publicly forgave him) and hired Dennis Miller to host Monday Night Football, with Al Michaels and Eric Dickerson. He kept Miller ( & Dickerson) for three seasons, in spite of much public ridicule. The day John Madden was suddenly let out of his FOX Sports contract, Miller called Dickerson to warn him that ABC was going to hire Madden and fire them, which they did, a few days later. Most of us shouldn't be judged solely for the dumbest thing we ever did.
Michael OConnor
2017-09-11 13:44:55 UTC
Ohlmeyer led an interesting career that changed the face of television.

In the 70's, Monday Night Television was event televison. Many people I think watched it not for the game but for the banter in the booth between Cosell, Meredith and Gifford. In those days, there was no ESPN, no NFL Network, no Inside the NFL, and the only way a lot of fans got their fix for Sunday highlights was the Halftime Highlights segment, and would sit thru the first half of a blowout just to watch Cosell read three or four minutes worth of the previous days highlights. Nobody could read highlights like Cosell:

He also directed the 1972 Munich Summer Olympics, which of course is remembered for the terror attack in which 11 Israeli athletes were murdered:

Looking at his Wikipedia entry, I see he also created the Superstars, which pitted players from different sports facing off in various events:

One thing Ohlmeyer tried at NBC was the NFL game with no announcers, instead putting up graphics when necessary and letting the sound of the stadium tell the story. It was a failed experiment, but interesting nonetheless:

I for one liked the addition of Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football. It was a gutsy call, and Miller proved to be a smart guy who learned a lot about football very quickly. There were a number of other people who publicly campaigned for the position on MNF (Regis Philbin, for one) who would have been awful in the role. As much as Miller is known for his salty language in his stand up, IIRC he was never bleeped by ABC during his tenure on MNF. Eric Dickerson was not a good field reporter, and ASAIK, has never worked as a field reporter since.
c***@aol.com
2017-09-11 14:09:46 UTC
Roone Arledge was responsible for the 70s. Ohlmeyer was a 20 something flunkie.
J.D. Baldwin
2017-09-11 15:23:26 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
I for one liked the addition of Dennis Miller on Monday Night
Football.
I didn't think it worked too well, but I do give Ohlmeyer credit for
the (as you put it) "gutsy call" and for sticking with the experiment
long enough that it really had a genuine chance.
Post by Michael OConnor
As much as Miller is known for his salty language in his stand up,
IIRC he was never bleeped by ABC during his tenure on MNF.
I'm sure you are correct. Miller, whatever his other assets and
shortcomings as a performer, is extremely focused and disciplined. He
was respected by everyone at HBO, including everyone who hated him
(probably most of them), for his ability to come up to speed quickly
on a topic for a show.

As to Ohlmeyer, yeah, he had some innovations and some failures, but
he really does deserve to be remembered for firing one of the funniest
humans alive from a comedy show just because his own little pet ox was
being (very successfully) gored.

Hey, here's almost half an hour of Norm MacDonald ripping hard on OJ:

2017-09-11 15:38:31 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
As to Ohlmeyer, yeah, he had some innovations and some failures, but
he really does deserve to be remembered for firing one of the funniest
humans alive from a comedy show just because his own little pet ox was
being (very successfully) gored.
http://youtu.be/Ay-8flkFo6c
I do agree Norm MacDonald is one of the funniest humans alive, and is brilliant as the crack addicted, alcoholic, porn addict Pigeon in the animated "Mike Tyson Mysteries" on Adult Swim. Warning NSFW: