Della Reese, 86
2017-11-20 18:25:39 UTC
http://deadline.com/2017/11/della-reese-dies-music-legend-touched-by-an-angel-star-86-1202212391/
Della Reese Dies: Music Legend & ‘Touched By An Angel Star’ Was 86
by Denise Petski
November 20, 2017 10:08am

Della Reese, the iconic jazz, gospel and pop singer who later moved into television and film, and starred as Tess on Touched By An Angel, has died. She was 86.

Her former Touched By An Angel co-star Roma Downey released a statement on her passing.

“On behalf of her husband, Franklin Lett, and all her friends and family, I share with you the news that our beloved Della Reese has passed away peacefully at her California home last evening surrounded by love. She was an incredible Wife, Mother, Grandmother, friend, and Pastor, as well as an award-winning actress and singer. Through her life and work she touched and inspired the lives of millions of people. She was a mother to me and I had the privilege of working with her side by side for so many years on Touched By An Angel. I know heaven has a brand new angel this day. Della Reese will be forever in our hearts. Rest In Peace, sweet angel. We love you.”

Reese began singing for audiences when was just six years old at her local church, with her roots clearly in gospel music. At 13, she was hired to perform with Mahalia Jackson’s gospel group, with whom she later toured.

She formed her own group, the Meditation Singers in the late 1940s, and was strongly influenced by jazz greats such as Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan. She signed a deal with Jubilee Records in 1953, releasing six jazz-focused albums. Her breakout hit came in 1959, with her hit single “Don’t You Know?”.

She turned to television and film starting in the late 1960s, hosting her own talk show Della, and later starring opposite Redd Foxx in Harlem Nights (1989), Martin Lawrence in A Thin Line Between Love and Hate (1996) and Elliott Gould in Expecting Mary (2010).

She co-starred with Downey as Tess in Touched By An Angel, which ran on CBS from 1994-2003. Her most recent television appearance was earlier this year on Bates Motel.
j***@gmail.com
I am glad this bitch is dead. When I was 21 years old I rolled into Hollywood Cal where I remained for 23 years. One day shortly after arriving I was riding with some friends down the Blvd when a limo passed and I peered in and saw Della Reese in the back. I turned to my friends and said, "Hey, it's Della Reese", before turning back to find her glaring at me with a look of disgust on her face as the tinted windows rolled up slowly and she disappeared from view. Now she has disappeared from view for good. If she wanted privacy she should have had the windows up from the start. Or smiled and rolled them up. Or at least not sneered in disgust. The look on her face was one of pure evil. If Manson was as evil as people say, then Della died at the right time. I'm glad she's gone. Bitch.
c***@aol.com
2017-11-20 23:02:28 UTC
You’re a lovely asswipe licking piece of shit aren’t you?
j***@gmail.com
2017-11-21 05:42:27 UTC
Well, you weren't there to see the look of hate on Della Reese's face, were you? I don't care if everyone in the world has more money than I do as long as I have enough for myself. So I was not then and am not now bitter or resentful of people just because they ride in limos. The woman had an ugly manner about her, I saw it, you did not. I even liked her voice from way back when. But that does nothing to dim the memory of that day when her hateful eyes darted in my direction and the windows went rolling up to hide her inexcusably fearful face.
j***@gmail.com
2017-11-21 05:49:59 UTC
It's amazing how wrong I can be sometimes. I figured anyone regularly visiting a newsgroup dedicated to death would have a sense of humor. This place is a disappointment with a few exceptions I will not mention by name. I detect in you and others in this group an extraordinary lack of compassion bordering on hate. No wait, not bordering on hate, embracing it. You people sound bitter, fearful, resentful, and very unimaginative. Sad.
c***@aol.com
2017-11-21 12:15:51 UTC
Sense of humor? You’re really insane.
David Carson
2017-11-21 15:52:43 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
It's amazing how wrong I can be sometimes. I figured anyone regularly visiting a newsgroup dedicated to death would have a sense of humor.
We do; it's just that you aren't funny.

David Carson
d***@gmail.com
2017-11-21 18:09:59 UTC

That's crazy. If she doesn't want to be noticed in public then why did she seek fame? How terribly rude
j***@gmail.com
2017-11-22 00:05:34 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
Thank you, exactly. If you think you need a body guard, you deserve to get your body scarred. I like that because it rhymes. Same thing happens in public restaurants with famous assholes. They complain about being stared at but could easily avoid such distractions if they ate at home or dined in restaurants reserved for their ilk alone. Or if they simply accepted being gawked at as part of fame. You are correct. I have never ridden in a limo and don't care to. I was young when Reese shot me that look of hate. My interpretation could be faulty. But to me it looked like fear mixed with hate. She also could have thought the haughty routine was something expected of famous people. Who knows? I thought it was ugly and rude, as you said. I am not really glad she's dead, but her passing did bring back that memory. And now that memory haunts me to the point where I am afraid to ever again ride in a car on a public road. She ruined my life. I am thinking of taking her estate to court over it. She eye-ball groped me.

#MeToo