Stanislov Petrov, 77. Did NOT activate Russkie nukes
danny burstein
2017-09-18 03:38:00 UTC
[Russia Today]

A Soviet officer who prevented a nuclear crisis between the US and the
USSR and possible World War III in the 1980s has quietly passed away. He
was 77. In 2010 RT spoke to Stanislav Petrov, who never considered himself
a hero. We look at the life of the man who saved the world.

A decision that Soviet lieutenant colonel Stanislav Petrov once took went
down in history as one that stopped the Cold War from turning into nuclear
Armageddon, largely thanks to Karl Schumacher, a political activist from
Germany who helped the news of his heroism first reach a western audience
nearly two decades ago.
On September 26, 1983, Stanislav Petrov was on duty in charge of an early
warning radar system in a bunker near Moscow, when just past midnight he
saw the radar screen showing a single missile inbound from the United
States and headed toward the Soviet Union.
====
rest:
https://www.rt.com/news/403625-nuclear-soviet-officer-died/
***@panix.com
2017-09-18 19:31:50 UTC
Post by danny burstein
[Russia Today]
A Soviet officer who prevented a nuclear crisis between the US and the
USSR and possible World War III in the 1980s has quietly passed away. He
was 77. In 2010 RT spoke to Stanislav Petrov, who never considered himself
a hero. We look at the life of the man who saved the world.
I don't consider him a hero, either. He didn't prevent a nuclear
crisis; he avoided making a bad call that could have single-handedly
created one. Sure, he deserves the Employee of the Month award and
maybe a little bonus, but let's not go overboard. The article says
Kevin Coster sent him $500. I'd say that's about right.