Damon Lanza, 55 (Son of Mario)
Add Reply
Bob
2008-08-24 10:52:53 UTC
Son of Mario Lanza

From: "Life in Legacy"

Damon Lanza 55) last surviving son of legendary operatic tenor and Hollywood
movie star Mario Lanza (d. 1959). Damon Lanza had lived with his parents in
Italy but returned to his native Los Angeles and was left orphaned along
with three other siblings when his mother, Betty Hicks Lanza, committed
suicide just five months after their father's death. His younger brother,
Marc Lanza, died of a heart attack in 1991, and their elder sister, Colleen
Lanza Davis, was killed in an automobile accident in '97. Damon Lanza died
in Los Angeles, California on August 19, 2008.
Jellore
2008-08-24 11:11:36 UTC
Son of Mario Lanza
What a tragic family !
La N
2008-08-24 15:49:23 UTC
Son of Mario Lanza
From: "Life in Legacy"
Damon Lanza 55) last surviving son of legendary operatic tenor and Hollywood
movie star Mario Lanza (d. 1959). Damon Lanza had lived with his parents in
Italy but returned to his native Los Angeles and was left orphaned along
with three other siblings when his mother, Betty Hicks Lanza, committed
suicide just five months after their father's death. His younger brother,
Marc Lanza, died of a heart attack in 1991, and their elder sister, Colleen
Lanza Davis, was killed in an automobile accident in '97. Damon Lanza died
in Los Angeles, California on August 19, 2008.
What a tragic family !

*****************

I have much of Mario Lanza's music which compelled me once to borrow from
the library the book "Mario Lanza, An American Tragedy". I couldn't finish
it. At that time I didn't want to read anything so depressing.

- nilita
Jellore
2008-08-25 10:44:23 UTC
Post by Bob
Son of Mario Lanza
From: "Life in Legacy"
[...]
My old grandfather, actually I guess at the time he was younger than I
am now, used to enjoy singing Lanza has he preened himself in front of
the mirror back in the 1960's. I grew up listening to Lanza. As for
the depressing nature of the family's luck, it just seems to go on and
on.
La N
2008-08-25 14:49:58 UTC
Post by La N
I have much of Mario Lanza's music which compelled me once to borrow from
the library the book "Mario Lanza, An American Tragedy". I couldn't finish
it. At that time I didn't want to read anything so depressing.
- nilita
My old grandfather, actually I guess at the time he was younger than I
am now, used to enjoy singing Lanza has he preened himself in front of
the mirror back in the 1960's. I grew up listening to Lanza. As for
the depressing nature of the family's luck, it just seems to go on and
on.

**********************************

Relentlessly sad, much in the same vein as the Chet Baker bio I read a few
months back .....

- nilita
1***@gmail.com
2013-07-29 21:02:08 UTC
I went to search for Damon to see how he is doing? I was surprised to see he is gone?. I am Annie his early life girlfriend. From 1970 to 1975? I knew them all and I lived at the house on Toyopa drive. I knew Uncle Terry. I also remember Bob from the Sunday "fan dinners." What FOOD! I was forced to do help with the dishes! I have some pictures of Damon from the 1970's that someone might want a copy of? I Am so surprised to see that everyone is gone except Alissa. I did not know her well but we had a small conversation once in the kitchen. I know the hurt of this family. I will always love them all, but especially Damon. I wanted to see him one more time. It will be on the other side. Thank you Lanza!s for all the fun!

I have many wonderful memories!

Annie Holtzman Henry
***@gmail.com
l***@yahoo.com
2017-10-12 00:39:27 UTC
Wonderful to read how close you were with the family of a wonderful man wonderful memories thank you for sharing xxxxxxx
J.D. Baldwin
2008-08-24 16:00:07 UTC
Son of Mario Lanza
From: "Life in Legacy"
Damon Lanza 55) last surviving son of legendary operatic tenor and
Hollywood movie star Mario Lanza (d. 1959). Damon Lanza had lived
with his parents in Italy but returned to his native Los Angeles and
was left orphaned along with three other siblings when his mother,
Betty Hicks Lanza, committed suicide just five months after their
father's death. His younger brother, Marc Lanza, died of a heart
attack in 1991, and their elder sister, Colleen Lanza Davis, was
killed in an automobile accident in '97. Damon Lanza died in Los
Angeles, California on August 19, 2008.
What a tragic family !
They were all dead by the end of the last act.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
Jimmy Mac
2008-08-24 15:50:37 UTC
Son of Mario Lanza
From: "Life in Legacy"
Damon Lanza 55) last surviving son of legendary operatic tenor and
Hollywood movie star Mario Lanza (d. 1959). Damon Lanza had lived with his
parents in Italy but returned to his native Los Angeles and was left
orphaned along with three other siblings when his mother, Betty Hicks
Lanza, committed suicide just five months after their father's death. His
younger brother, Marc Lanza, died of a heart attack in 1991, and their
elder sister, Colleen Lanza Davis, was killed in an automobile accident in
'97. Damon Lanza died in Los Angeles, California on August 19, 2008.
Cause of death may have been a heart attack.

Here's what Wikipedia has on this:

"Lanza's widow, Betty, moved back to Hollywood with their four children but
died five months later at the age of 37. Biographer Armando Cesari writes
that the apparent cause of death, according to the coroner, was
"asphyxiation resulting from a respiratory ailment for which she had been
receiving medication." In 1991 Marc, the younger of their two sons, died of
a heart attack at the age of 37; six years later, Colleen, their eldest
daughter, was killed at the age of 48 when she was struck by two passing
vehicles on a highway. Damon Lanza, the couple's eldest son, died in August
2008 at the age of 55."

Mario was one hell of a singer. Truly Wonderful.
To sample go to: http://tinyurl.com/55u83r
Larc
2008-08-24 17:08:23 UTC
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:50:37 -0500, "Jimmy Mac" <***@nospam.com> wrote:

| "Bob" <***@localnet.com> wrote in message
| > Son of Mario Lanza
| >
| > From: "Life in Legacy"
| >
| > Damon Lanza 55) last surviving son of legendary operatic tenor and
| > Hollywood movie star Mario Lanza (d. 1959). Damon Lanza had lived with his
| > parents in Italy but returned to his native Los Angeles and was left
| > orphaned along with three other siblings when his mother, Betty Hicks
| > Lanza, committed suicide just five months after their father's death. His
| > younger brother, Marc Lanza, died of a heart attack in 1991, and their
| > elder sister, Colleen Lanza Davis, was killed in an automobile accident in
| > '97. Damon Lanza died in Los Angeles, California on August 19, 2008.
| >

| Cause of death may have been a heart attack.
|
| Here's what Wikipedia has on this:
|
| "Lanza's widow, Betty, moved back to Hollywood with their four children but
| died five months later at the age of 37. Biographer Armando Cesari writes
| that the apparent cause of death, according to the coroner, was
| "asphyxiation resulting from a respiratory ailment for which she had been
| receiving medication." In 1991 Marc, the younger of their two sons, died of
| a heart attack at the age of 37; six years later, Colleen, their eldest
| daughter, was killed at the age of 48 when she was struck by two passing
| vehicles on a highway. Damon Lanza, the couple's eldest son, died in August
| 2008 at the age of 55."
|
| Mario was one hell of a singer. Truly Wonderful.
| To sample go to: http://tinyurl.com/55u83r

Maria Callas (a woman who had cause for many regrets) once said one of the
biggest regrets of her life was that she never sang with Lanza. She described
him as one of the greatest tenors of the 20th Century.

Others have said he was surpassed — if at all — only by Enrico Caruso.

Not bad for a truck driver who was mostly self trained vocally.

Larc