Phillip Hickle, Stepped Into A Smoldering Pile Of Grape Waste, 25
Add Reply
DGH
2006-05-12 21:16:32 UTC
.

It was reported from Kennewick, Washington, that Phillip Hickle, who
suffered severe burns 10 years ago when he inadvertently stepped into a
smoldering pile of grape waste while hunting, died, Saturday May 6,
2006, at the age of 25.

Hickle died Saturday at his home. He appeared to have died of natural
causes but more tests will be done, said Alberta "Bert" Redwing, Benton
County's deputy coroner.

Hickle was 16 when he suffered burns over 55 percent of his body. His
legs were amputated and he lost partial use of one hand. He spent nine
months recuperating in Seattle hospitals.

The waste he stepped into, grape skins, pulp, seeds and vine, was
dumped in large pits and covered with soil. As it decomposed,
spontaneous combustion would ignite the material. It smoldered at
temperatures as high as 507 degrees.

The Hickle family sued the farmer who owned the land and the two fruit
producers and eventually settled out of court with all three parties.
Hickle never really recovered from the accident, his mother, Beierle
Hickle, said from Lewiston, Idaho.

"We still had our son, brother and grandson, but he was a different
person. Everything was so hard for him," she said. "The doctors said it
was amazing that he even lived through the accident."

Hickle missed most of his sophomore year in high school, though he did
eventually finish. On May 1, 2000, Hickle used crutches to cross the
stage and accept his diploma. His 144 classmates gave him a standing
ovation.

AP
Fragile Warrior
That's some trick with no legs and only one hand. What am I missing here?
aka Bob
2006-05-12 22:43:39 UTC
Post by DGH
Hickle missed most of his sophomore year in high school, though he did
eventually finish. On May 1, 2000, Hickle used crutches to cross the
stage and accept his diploma.
That's some trick with no legs and only one hand. What am I missing here?
Prosthetic legs?

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Fragile Warrior
Fragile Warrior
2006-05-12 23:03:12 UTC
Sorry about the blank, let's try this again.
Post by aka Bob
Post by DGH
Hickle missed most of his sophomore year in high school, though he did
eventually finish. On May 1, 2000, Hickle used crutches to cross the
stage and accept his diploma.
That's some trick with no legs and only one hand. What am I missing here?
Prosthetic legs?
I guess it's a possibility but still hard to manage with one hand... okay, a
hand and a half. Badly written article, though, since they didn't mention
that.

It also didn't mention how they managed to sue people for making dump pits
on their own property. Good lawyering there.
aka Bob
2006-05-12 23:13:00 UTC
Post by aka Bob
Post by DGH
Hickle missed most of his sophomore year in high school, though he did
eventually finish. On May 1, 2000, Hickle used crutches to cross the
stage and accept his diploma.
That's some trick with no legs and only one hand. What am I missing here?
Prosthetic legs?
I guess it's a possibility but still hard to manage with one hand... okay, a
hand and a half. Badly written article, though, since they didn't mention
that.
Very badly written.
Post by Fragile Warrior
It also didn't mention how they managed to sue people for making dump pits
on their own property. Good lawyering there.
Wasn't there a case in the US a few years ago where a burglar sued the
property owner for an injury he incurred while attempting to burgle
the property ... and won?

Fragile Warrior
2006-05-12 23:56:57 UTC
Post by aka Bob
Post by Fragile Warrior
It also didn't mention how they managed to sue people for making dump pits
on their own property. Good lawyering there.
Wasn't there a case in the US a few years ago where a burglar sued the
property owner for an injury he incurred while attempting to burgle
the property ... and won?
Oh, yes indeed.

And OJ got off, too.

It's a world gone mad. MAD, I tell you.
aka Bob
2006-05-13 00:26:37 UTC
Post by Fragile Warrior
Post by aka Bob
Post by Fragile Warrior
Post by Fragile Warrior
It also didn't mention how they managed to sue people for making dump pits
on their own property. Good lawyering there.
Wasn't there a case in the US a few years ago where a burglar sued the
property owner for an injury he incurred while attempting to burgle
the property ... and won?
Oh, yes indeed.
And OJ got off, too.
It's a world gone mad. MAD, I tell you.
I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them
and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not
going to take this anymore!'

Fragile Warrior
I do that every day at noon.
aka Bob
2006-05-13 01:15:28 UTC
Post by Fragile Warrior
Post by aka Bob
Post by Fragile Warrior
Post by aka Bob
Post by Fragile Warrior
Post by Fragile Warrior
It also didn't mention how they managed to sue people for making dump pits
on their own property. Good lawyering there.
Wasn't there a case in the US a few years ago where a burglar sued the
property owner for an injury he incurred while attempting to burgle
the property ... and won?
Oh, yes indeed.
And OJ got off, too.
It's a world gone mad. MAD, I tell you.
I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them
and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not
going to take this anymore!'
I do that every day at noon.
First good laugh I've had all day ...

2006-05-13 02:53:00 UTC
aka Bob <***@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
: On Fri, 12 May 2006 19:56:57 -0400, "Fragile Warrior" <***@td.net>
: magnanimously proffered:
:
:>
:>"aka Bob" <***@surfwriter.net.not> wrote in message
:>news:***@4ax.com...
:>> On Fri, 12 May 2006 19:03:12 -0400, "Fragile Warrior" <***@td.net>
:>> magnanimously proffered:
:>>
:>>>>>That's some trick with no legs and only one hand. What am I missing
:>>>>>here?
:>>>>
:>>>> Prosthetic legs?
:>>>
[...]

Your neighbors will sue you if you do that.

Fragile Warrior
If they get anything, we'll split it.
Tommy Joe
2006-05-23 06:52:40 UTC
It also didn't mention how they managed to sue people for making dump pits on their own property. Good lawyering there.
That's up for debate. Not between you and me, just in general.
The guy was 15 years old when he was out there hunting - not that
hunting is an issue here. The point is, I doubt most 15 year olds in
rural areas give much thought to the land they're crossing, especially
if there's no fence or sign asking them to stay out. I can see it both
ways. Recently in this area two guys drowned in a popular lake where
there were warning signs, but now the law is talking about closing the
lake down because it's dangerous. Jeezus, that's absurd. But if you
can't swim, at least you know you're walking into water. The same
would not apply to walking into a pile of leaves smoldering at 550
degrees.

I agree with you in a way. I don't like the way people become
instant millionaires by suing someone else - unless they really deserve
it. But once again, I really can see this one as a tough call. I am
like you in the sense that I value private property - but how private
is it really? Even on our own property it is our duty to control
things that might be dangerous to others. I'm sick of the litigation
crap all the time. I really don't see why some of these cases cannot
be settled without all the drama. ....... And now, unrelated to this
story, but I just can't resist - I'm really sick of living victims who
sue airlines and so forth after their relatives die in crashes or other
mishaps, as if receiving money is going to bring them back. And I'm
referring in this matter specifically to those people who survived or
are related to survivors of the events of 9/11. The greed of people
really comes out at moments like that. It's sickening - to me anyway.

Tommy Joe
h***@gmail.com
2017-04-11 03:44:14 UTC
My brother had prosthetics that he works really hard to walk in to graduate. Don't be stupid.
Rich Clancey
2006-05-23 03:17:52 UTC
Post by DGH
The waste he stepped into, grape skins, pulp, seeds and vine, was
dumped in large pits and covered with soil. As it decomposed,
spontaneous combustion would ignite the material. It smoldered at
temperatures as high as 507 degrees.
I didn't know fruit could spontaneously combust. Had it fermented first?
--
rich clancey ***@bahleevyoome.world.std.com
"Shun those who deny we have eyes in order to see, and instead say we