OT (for now) Soccer team trapped in Thai cave
l***@yahoo.com
2018-07-02 17:42:45 UTC
Found, but not out of danger just yet. (It's been nine days.)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/02/twelve-boys-missing-in-flooded-thai-cave-found-after-nine-days
That Derek
2018-07-02 18:39:59 UTC
They've been located still alive by Thai authorities.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL !!!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/thai-rescuers-locate-missing-boys-and-coach-alive-in-cave/ar-AAzpchU?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=UE07DHP

Associated Press

Thai rescuers locate missing boys and coach alive in cave

By TASSANEE VEJPONGSA, Associated Press

1 hr ago

MAE SAI, Thailand (AP) — Rescuers found all 12 boys and their soccer coach alive deep inside a partially flooded cave in northern Thailand late Monday, more than a week after they disappeared and touched off a desperate search that drew international help and captivated the nation.

Chiang Rai provincial Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn said the 13 were in the process of being rescued, but he cautioned that they were not out of peril yet.

"We found them safe. But the operation isn't over," he said in comments broadcast nationwide.

Rescue divers had spent much of Monday making preparations for a final push to locate the lost soccer players, aged 11 to 16, and their 25-year-old coach. They disappeared when flooding trapped them after entering the Tham Luang Nang Non cave on June 23.

Anmar Mirza, a leading American cave rescue expert, said many challenges remain for the rescuers. He said the primary decision is whether to try to evacuate the boys and their coach or to supply them in place.

"Supplying them on site may face challenges depending on how difficult the dives are," Mirza, coordinator of the U.S. National Cave Rescue Commission, said in an email. "Trying to take non-divers through a cave is one of the most dangerous situations possible, even if the dives are relatively easy. That also begets the question: If the dives are difficult then supply will be difficult, but the risk of trying to dive them out is also exponentially greater."

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha thanked the international experts and rescuers who helped locate the missing for their "tremendous efforts."

"The Royal Thai Government and the Thai people are grateful for this support and cooperation, and we all wish the team a safe and speedy recovery," Prayuth's office said in a statement.

Thai navy SEAL divers and rescue workers from other countries made initial progress through the narrow passageway early Monday after passing through a key chamber on Sunday whose high, murky waters had previously blocked their progress.

Gov. Narongsak earlier said the passageway the divers made their way through goes upward in some places and downward in others and is extremely narrow, making it difficult for divers and their gear to fit through.

Divers have been stymied repeatedly by rising water that forced them to withdraw for safety reasons. When water levels fell Sunday, the divers went forward with a more methodical approach, deploying a rope line and extra oxygen supplies along the way.

The SEALs' Facebook page said that since Sunday night, the divers had reached a bend where the kilometer-long (half-mile-long) passage splits in two directions. The divers were aiming for a sandy chamber on higher ground in the cave.

Narongsak explained earlier Monday that fixing rope lines and deploying oxygen tanks along their route will allow the divers to operate.

In addition to the divers, teams have been working to pump out water as well as divert groundwater. Other efforts have focused on finding shafts on the mountainside that might serve as a back door to the blocked-off areas.

Teams have been combing the mountainside looking for fissure that might lead to such shafts. Several have been found and explorers have been able to descend into some.

Experts in cave rescues from around the world had gathered at the site. An official Australian group has followed a U.S. military team, British cave experts, Chinese lifesaving responders and several other volunteer groups from various countries.

"These are challenging conditions and there's a lot of consideration for safety as well as, the environment outside is contributing to the environment inside," said U.S. Air Force Capt. Jessica Tait, part of a 30-member U.S. military team assisting in the search operation, referring to the rain that has been flooding the cave. "So I'd say, yeah, it's an accurate statement that it's challenging."
RH Draney
2018-07-02 19:08:37 UTC
Post by That Derek
Thai rescuers locate missing boys and coach alive in cave
I'm an American and largely ignorant of the intricacies of soccer, so
forgive me if the answer to this is obvious to the rest of the
world...but what the hell is a soccer team doing in a cave in the first
place?...r
l***@yahoo.com
Spelunking for relaxation as opposed to training for the next game, I assume.
Larc
2018-07-02 20:00:23 UTC
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 12:13:30 -0700 (PDT), ***@yahoo.com wrote:

| On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 3:09:25 PM UTC-4, RH Draney wrote:
| > On 7/2/2018 11:39 AM, That Derek wrote:
| > >
| > > Thai rescuers locate missing boys and coach alive in cave
| >
| > I'm an American and largely ignorant of the intricacies of soccer, so
| > forgive me if the answer to this is obvious to the rest of the
| > world...but what the hell is a soccer team doing in a cave in the first
| > place?...r
|
| Spelunking for relaxation as opposed to training for the next game, I assume.

Glad they were found. Bet this one event has totally satisfied their curiosity about
spelunking and they'll find something else to do for relaxation from now on.

Larc
That Derek
2018-07-08 15:55:01 UTC
At this point, I'm wondering if the waiting families of the trapped soccer players are being advised to "Thai a yellow ribbon ..."
c***@aol.com
2018-07-08 18:08:23 UTC
Yes and no rescue worker should have to die to save a bunch a stupid assholes who shouldn’t have been there in the first place.
W.C. Green
2018-07-08 21:34:05 UTC
Post by c***@aol.com
Yes and no rescue worker should have to die to save a bunch a stupid assholes who shouldn’t have been there in the first place.
You make it sound as though he was sacrificed to the asshole gods so
they would allow the rescue.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-07-08 21:55:19 UTC
Post by W.C. Green
Post by c***@aol.com
Yes and no rescue worker should have to die to save a bunch a stupid assholes who shouldn’t have been there in the first place.
You make it sound as though he was sacrificed to the asshole gods so
they would allow the rescue.
What surprised me (somewhat) was hearing that, after that brave diver died, they decided to take the boys out anyway, before pumping more water out. (Yes, I know, oxygen is running low, more rainstorms are coming, and the officials would not want to risk multiple trained divers' lives for weeks just to bring the boys oxygen tanks while the engineers spend more time pumping out water.) Also, even though there are spots where they can walk with their heads above water, it's said it takes six hours to go through the three miles of caves! What on earth...

Four are out right now. Nine people to go.

Lenona.
Michael OConnor
2018-07-08 18:44:22 UTC
I hope they can somehow seal off that cave from future exploration. The fact that it is now so famous, or infamous, will no doubt attract idiots from around the world who think they can explore it successfully.
That Derek
2018-07-08 21:58:14 UTC
The saddest thing is that we're all going to be subjected to a movie about the whole ordeal. At least there'll be jobs for a whole bunch of Asian actors.

Here's a title:

"Spelunkheads."
l***@yahoo.com
2018-07-08 22:16:44 UTC
Interesting article:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/08/opinions/thai-cave-rescue-mission-bravery-parini/index.html

Excerpt:

...It's inspiring to see this effort in part, I suspect, because of the international make-up of the rescue team, with British, American, Australian and Japanese divers (among others) joining Thai divers, and with other countries adding their expertise. This joint effort is symbolic, and it suggests a world where, at least for a time, it's possible to work together in a constructive way toward a common goal.

In the Thai cave, there are no skin colors, religious differences or questions of sexual identity. Nobody is wrapping himself in a flag or questioning the science at hand. This is one of those rare times when we see how much we can achieve against terrifying odds when people work in unison, selflessly, to do something important.

Putting the welfare of these children first, in itself, is admirable. We've all made mistakes, and it occasionally takes a village at times to make up for those mistakes.

I don't think anyone, anywhere, begrudges the amount of money it will cost to rescue a dozen boys and their coach. What's interesting to me is that nobody is counting. Everyone knows that the value of life can't be measured in money.

And everyone is beholden to Saman Gunan, the Thai diver who lost his life a few days ago while making his way out of the Tham Luang complex of caves. His willingness to put his life on the line for the trapped boys and their coach was remarkable. He showed us courage in its purest form...

(snip)

I expect that at some point, though, men's rights' activists are going to contradict the mood of the above article and snarl: "See? The American media and the public only worry about males in danger or admire male rescuers when the males in jeopardy are CHILDREN!"

Not quite true, of course. Remember the Chilean miners in 2010?

But another complaint sometimes made is that when men die in accidents, they're only referred to by their job titles, not as "men" or "people." I.e., it's implied that they're disposable.

Lenona.
Kenny McCormack
2018-07-09 00:34:30 UTC
In article <4dc51aed-bb04-4c2b-8bf2-***@googlegroups.com>,
<***@yahoo.com> wrote:
Post by l***@yahoo.com
...It's inspiring to see this effort in part, I suspect, because of
the international make-up of the rescue team, with British, American,
Australian and Japanese divers (among others) joining Thai divers,
and with other countries adding their expertise. This joint effort is
symbolic, and it suggests a world where, at least for a time, it's
possible to work together in a constructive way toward a common goal.
In the Thai cave, there are no skin colors, religious differences or
questions of sexual identity. Nobody is wrapping himself in a flag or
questioning the science at hand. This is one of those rare times when
we see how much we can achieve against terrifying odds when people work
in unison, selflessly, to do something important.
That's only because Orange Baboon hasn't gotten involved yet.

"I like soccer teams that don't get stuck in caves".
--
Which of these is the crazier bit of right wing lunacy?
1) We've just had another mass shooting; now is not the time to be talking about gun control.

2) We've just had a massive hurricane; now is not the time to be talking about climate change.
Congoleum Breckenridge
2018-07-09 01:30:53 UTC
They will be on Ellen first.
Michael OConnor
2018-07-09 02:30:12 UTC
Post by Congoleum Breckenridge
They will be on Ellen first.
I agree, Ellen will get the exclusive interview just like she did with that security guard at the Vegas hotel. Hasn't Ellen became the new 60 Minutes in that way? The only difference is, Ellen has a brain dead audience who will literally cheer at anything, and she gives out prizes to her guests. After watching the Vegas guard interview, it wasn't even softball, it was more along the lines of wiffle ball. At least with 60 Minutes, you might get a hard hitting question or two, especially if you happened to draw Mike Wallace for your interview.

An early bet - she's going to give the kids tickets to Disney World.
Alfalfa Bill
I don't see why this is a story.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-07-09 16:55:57 UTC
Post by That Derek
The saddest thing is that we're all going to be subjected to a movie about the whole ordeal. At least there'll be jobs for a whole bunch of Asian actors.
Here's a better possibility: Someone will write a novel - a thriller? - that dwells on the irony of Trump and his supporters gushing about how much they care about reuniting THESE boys with their families, but not...

Lenona.
c***@aol.com
2018-07-09 18:25:04 UTC
No the saddest thing is that someone died to save these idiots.