Canadian Actor Donnelly Rhodes Dead at 80
2018-01-09 03:58:05 UTC
This was posted by Tony Calguire in rec.arts.tv. There's a pic of Mr.
Rhodes at the link.

Canadian television actor Donnelly Rhodes dies at age 80

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-television-actor-donnelly-rhodes-
010138930.html

MAPLE RIDGE, B.C. ? Actor Donnelly Rhodes, best-known in Canada for his
roles in "Sidestreet" and "Da Vinci's Inquest," died Monday of cancer.
He was 80.

A news release from the talent agency Northern Exposure says Rhodes
died at the Baillie House Hospice in Maple Ridge, B.C.

The Winnipeg-born actor received numerous accolades, including a Gemini
award for his leading role in the drama "Da Vinci's Inquest" in 2002
and a Gemini Earle Grey Award for Lifetime Achievement in 2006.

Rhodes was also recognized by the B.C. Entertainment Hall of Fame with
a star on Granville Street's Star Walk in Vancouver.

Rhodes, who joined the Royal Canadian Air Force as an airman-mechanic
before settling into his career as an actor, was also known in the U.S.
for his role as the dim-witted escaped con Dutch in the ABC soap opera
spoof "Soap."

He studied at the Manitoba Theatre Centre and was a member of the first
graduating class of the National Theatre School of Canada in 1963.

He made his professional debut on stage at Stratford Theatre as Stanley
Kowalski in "Streetcar Named Desire" before he became a contract player
for Universal Pictures in the U.S., where he landed television roles on
"Bonanza," "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.," "Cheers," "Golden Girls" and
"The Young and the Restless."

Rhodes is survived by his wife, Sarah, his daughter and his son.

The Canadian Press
RH Draney
2018-01-09 10:41:39 UTC
Post by A Friend
Rhodes, who joined the Royal Canadian Air Force as an airman-mechanic
before settling into his career as an actor, was also known in the U.S.
for his role as the dim-witted escaped con Dutch in the ABC soap opera
spoof "Soap."
This is what I know him for, followed at a remove by his role as the
father of the twin girls (sisters in real life of Katey Sagal) on
"Double Trouble"....

And, of course, his name keeps coming up as a false hit on my cable TV
guide whenever I search for Jeff Donnell....r