Semi-OT: "Decisive Majority of US Muslims Oppose Violence Against Civilians, New Survey Shows"
2017-08-02 18:07:14 UTC
https://www.algemeiner.com/2017/07/31/decisive-majority-of-us-muslims-oppose-violence-against-civilians-new-survey-shows/

By Ben Cohen.

First paragraphs:

A new survey of political and social attitudes among the US Muslims shows that over three-quarters of the community rejects violence against civilians in the name of religious or political beliefs.

The survey, released on July 26 by the Pew Research organization, revealed that 76 percent of respondents agreed with the contention that “targeting and killing civilians can never be justified to further a political, social or religious cause.” Eight percent believed such actions were justified “rarely,” while a further 12 percent believed terrorist killing is “sometimes” or “often” justified.

While the question as phrased by Pew implies that Islamism is among the several “political, social or religious” causes that can underpin terrorist violence, the survey did not seek responses regarding violence committed in the name of Islam specifically, or against particular countries, most obviously Israel...

(snip)

Trouble is, as the top-rated comments say:

Angel: "Great. I'm glad that only 25% of Muslims wish us harm."

TAE54 "So, according to this survey, 'only' about a MILLION (actually, about 720,000) of them support violence against civilians at least some of the time! And some think this is reassuring?!?"

Just Another Guy "Imagine the headline if it had been the results of polling Christians or Jews or Buddhists or Hindus..."

Keith Nolan "The amount that answer this accurately will be far less than the actual numbers, which should be fairly obvious. Not everyone of them is going to admit to their hatred. However the scary thing is that 25% of them admit to wishing violence against civilians."

2017-08-02 19:16:46 UTC
And here you have the problem in a nutshell: they ain't like the rest of us if they think like this.
Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest
2017-08-03 06:20:40 UTC
Funny, I can find this survey in only one tabloid. You'd think this would be reported other places besides a Jewish/paranoid tabloid sold only locally. Oh well, if it's on the internets it has got to be true- Kill 'em!!!
p***@gmail.com
2017-08-05 03:06:46 UTC
http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2017/07/25171611/U.S.-MUSLIMS-FULL-REPORT.pdf

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/26/us/pew-muslim-american-survey/index.html

https://www.voanews.com/a/us-muslims-see-friendly-neighbors-but-foe-in-white-house-/3959531.html
Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest
2017-08-05 04:10:35 UTC
Excuse me, the OP quoted the article saying, " “targeting and killing civilians can never be justified to further a political, social or religious cause.” Eight percent believed such actions were justified “rarely,” while a further 12 percent believed terrorist killing is “sometimes” or “often” justified."

I opined that I have not seen those numbers in the main stream media (booga booga bad word).

In response I was steered to a CNN.com article. Though the article had lots of stats on Muslim-Americans, nowhere did it state 12% of Muslim-Americans thought terrorist killing was justified. The closest stat was;
"Likewise, more than 75% of American Muslims say violence can never be justified to further a religious, social or political cause. That's compared to 59% of Americans overall who said the same."

I suppose this is not a place for honest discussion, and I am not the one to change the 'minds' of those hell-bent to engage in war. But if I can see through it, it must be stupid.
p***@gmail.com
2017-08-05 06:23:51 UTC
Except that, of course, is not what you did. You stated very clearly that "I can find this survey in only one tabloid." You're welcome.
Terry del Fuego
2017-08-03 14:45:32 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
A new survey of political and social attitudes among the US Muslims
shows that over three-quarters of the community rejects violence
against civilians in the name of religious or political beliefs.
Interesting but not especially meaningful without comparison to other
groups.

True story: My privacy was invaded by a knock on the door Saturday
morning. I looked out the peephole, saw white shirts and black
neckvomit and assumed they were Mormons. But after they left and I
examined the piece of toilet paper they'd stuck in my door, I found
they were actually plugging the church headed by this...guy:
<http://fox40.com/2016/06/13/sacramento-baptist-pastor-applauds-orlando-shooting/>.