On finding old obituaries of friends/relatives
2017-06-30 17:06:28 UTC
Here's a trick I found, re an obscure writer who died in 1982.

Since there was little about her in Biography in Context (and none on her husband, a Long Island sculptor), I searched in Google on her husband's name, found his address (even though he died in 1980) and searched on THAT plus her name.

That was the only thing that worked. Searching on her name plus 1982 did not. (Well, OK, adding her birth year - 1915 - DID help find the tiny entry in www.familytreenow.com, but I didn't know of that date until I found the obit, and only the obit had enough details so that I knew it was the right person. So if I'd found the www.familytreenow.com entry first, it would not have helped me find the obit.)

Just a tip.

Lenona.

P.S. And, to my shock, when I searched on "Hampton" INSTEAD of "East Hampton," just now, I got the 2010 obit of an artist of the same name who was ALSO born in 1915! (She was from Hampton, Virginia.)
Bryan Styble
2017-06-30 18:45:29 UTC
Thanks for that, Leona.

As you might expect, I went through some of that sort of thing during my lengthy effort to track down the status of Carl Bressler, a longtime pal from Dylan's Los Angeles entourage, which as you may or may not recall from my postings hereto, eventually turned up the sad fact--via an informative cousin--of the filmmaker's 2006 demise in Massachusetts, with the only positive aspect being that he had the good fortune to die in his sleep.

I gather also, Leona, that the massive death database of the Social Security Administration is in the public domain and I hear it's reliable, though I don't know how to access it. In any event, I sure hope it doesn't list me at least until Tuesday, February 29, 2056.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Bryan Styble
2017-06-30 18:49:09 UTC
D'oh!

I've been reading your posts, often with considerably interest, for years, Lenona...yet I never until now noticed that your name isn't Leona!

STYBLE/Florida
Louis Epstein
2017-06-30 19:32:17 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
Thanks for that, Leona.
As you might expect, I went through some of that sort of thing during my lengthy effort to track down the status of Carl Bressler, a longtime pal from Dylan's Los Angeles entourage, which as you may or may not recall from my postings hereto, eventually turned up the sad fact--via an informative cousin--of the filmmaker's 2006 demise in Massachusetts, with the only positive aspect being that he had the good fortune to die in his sleep.
I gather also, Leona, that the massive death database of the Social Security Administration is in the public domain and I hear it's reliable, though I don't know how to access it. In any event, I sure hope it doesn't list me at
least until Tuesday, February 29, 2056.
In recent years Congress has degraded what's available from the SSA,so you may want to seek out a source that
adds newly released SS data without honoring official deletions.Of course that database also has various
errors (age exaggerations are readily apparent when searching for people by extreme age...in past years
1800 was used as a default birth year).
2017-07-05 17:10:10 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Here's a trick I found, re an obscure writer who died in 1982.
Since there was little about her in Biography in Context (and none on her husband, a Long Island sculptor), I searched in Google on her husband's name, found his address (even though he died in 1980) and searched on THAT plus her name.
That was the only thing that worked.
Another thing that might help - Google on a person's birthplace. This is how I learned not to trust Familysearch too much when they make it sound as though someone had a recent residence! (The case was of a writer/illustrator whose humor reminded me of Roald Dahl and who died at 51 or so.) The truth was revealed through www.newspapers.com. Even Googling on the death date AND birth date doesn't work.

Details:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.books.childrens/phWpWroutVY