Kate Millett, 82, feminist/lesbian author, activist, ideologue ("Millett as in 'kill it'")
2017-09-07 00:05:55 UTC
https://www.advocate.com/women/2017/9/06/feminist-icon-and-author-kate-millett-dies

Women

Feminist Icon and Author Kate Millett Dies

By Ariel Sobel

September 06 2017 5:06 PM EDT

Kate Millett, the prominent feminist writer who's 1970 doctoral thesis, Sexual Politics, launched her from a Columbia student to a second-wave revolutionary, died on Wednesday at the age of 82.

Millett's book was considered a more queer-friendly alternative to Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique, which maliciously labeled lesbians as the "lavender menace." In a movement spearheaded by Millet, queer feminists reclaimed the term "lavender menace," and Millett eventually came out as a lesbian herself. Her book questioned the origins of patriarchy, claiming they were political and cultural, and asserted that sexual revolution relied on breaking down the traditional heteronormative family.

Millett was born in Minnesota in 1934. Her father, an alcoholic, abandoned her family when she was 14, leaving her mother and two sisters in poverty. A wealthy aunt paid for her education, leading her to study comparative literature at Columbia University and to teach at Barnard College, Bryn Mawr College, and the University of California, Berkeley.

The writer, whose work many consider a milestone in the fight for legal abortion, gender equality in the workplace, and sexual freedom, sought not to be a spokesperson for the feminist movement. “Better to operate on an even keel like Friedan and Gloria [Steinem] and the others,” she later reflected. “All far better politicians. But I am not a politician. Not ‘Kate Millett of Women’s Lib’ either.”

Millett is featured in the 2014 film She's Beautiful When She's Angry as a feminist leader. After Sexual Politics, Millett wrote autobiographical memoirs on sexuality and mental health, including Mother Millett and The Loony Bin Trip.
c***@aol.com
2017-09-07 00:22:35 UTC
What a cunt.
l***@yahoo.com
2017-09-10 22:52:46 UTC
If anyone's interested, in January, I found a 2014 article by her estranged sister, Mallory Millet (formerly Mallory Millett-Jones). She's described as a "CFO for several corporations and a long-standing member of The David Horowitz Freedom Center."

Somehow, I wouldn't expect a successful CFO to come across as emotionally unstable. Her article can only be described as screechy hysteria, especially when it comes to abortion. Quote:

"...I’ve known women who fell for this creed in their youth who now, in their fifties and sixties, cry themselves to sleep decades of countless nights grieving for the children they'll never have and the ones they coldly murdered because they were protecting the empty loveless futures they now live with no way of going back. 'Where are my children? Where are my grandchildren?' they cry to me..."

Not too surprisingly, she talks as though feminism was ALWAYS nothing more than Marxism. (I should mention that, personally, I think there's plenty to criticize about third-wave feminism; the old-fashioned, no-nonsense liberal Wendy Kaminer is one of my top three - or top two? - favorite second-wave feminists. She's 67.)

But to get back to that excerpt:

It's interesting that only diehard conservatives and full-time anti-abortionists ever seem to make claims like that. Pretty much everyone else will agree - if grudgingly - that the vast majority of middle-aged childfree people are content with their decision and are quite capable of finding substitute "grandchildren" to play with and send home at the end of the day, and that childLESS people (aside from poor people) tried but couldn't find a reasonably good person to marry, and/or didn't like the idea of adoption or single parenthood. Nobody FORGETS to have children. Even childfree women can't help seeing, again and again, those articles warning women about their diminishing fertility; there are so many such articles, you can't help seeing them.

Not to mention that while no woman enjoys getting an abortion, no matter how early it's done (if only because there's usually a little physical pain), the vast majority of the women who have them get over it pretty soon - and have children later IF they want them! What's much harder to live down, from all accounts, is giving up a child for adoption, which is why any single woman who gives birth nowadays typically does not do so.

And it's been pointed out more than once that if anyone's really helped to destigmatize single motherhood, it's the anti-abortionist.