Veronica Lake's burial site.
l***@gmail.com
2013-06-09 04:38:44 UTC
I've been in touch with several relatives of the 1940's actress, Veronica
Lake (AKA Constance Keane), of "I Married a Witch" fame, but no one seems
to know where she was buried (or cremated) after she died of hepatitis in
Burlington, VT on July 7, 1973. Anyone who could help in this matter would
be greatly appreciated by both myself and her relatives.
In addition, Veronica's first husband, Mr. John Detlie, has been searching
for his daughter by Ms. Lake, Elaine Detlie (or her married name of
Berger), for the last fifty years. Any help in this matter would also be
greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
http://www.subudworldnews.com/wsa/report/8_SUSA-News_Feb2013.pdf

Subud World News Feb 2013, see p. 25

FEELINGS ON IBU SUMARI’S DEATHby Ruth Berger, 1971

David McCormack found this remembrance among his mother’s, Rohana’s, papers shortly after she died
following the death of Ibu Siti Sumari, Bapak’s second wife.26 of 34
I know by the way and the extent of the awareness of her going something of the inner size of her. It certainly
covered the abundance of this earth...
You lit up the earth with your going like the tail of a comet so brilliant it paled the sun. Was it in my heart only,
or did it really happen that the flowers blazed so I half shut my eyes and the world was a song like I first heard
when in love and loved in return. This is not what I was taught of dying. Not this joy. This triumph. Not this
flood of life. This death of yours makes shadows of our living!
m***@gmail.com
2014-03-26 03:31:38 UTC
I run a Veronica Lake Facebook group and there's a woman that had just joined today who is claiming to be Elaine and she is writing her autobiography.
NotYetObit
2014-03-26 09:34:03 UTC

I think that you need to learn the definition of the word "autobiography".
l***@fl.it
2014-03-26 11:25:17 UTC
Lol well presumably it has nothing to do with Veronica Lake :)
m***@gmail.com
2016-02-14 11:04:41 UTC
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7486781/Soldier-knew-he-might-not-come-back
c***@gmail.com
2016-02-19 06:58:46 UTC
Did anyone ever get in touch with elaine Detlie?
l***@gmail.com
2016-11-06 01:46:44 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Did anyone ever get in touch with elaine Detlie?
Hello,
My name is Louisa Buchanan
I am in New Zealand. From 1983 until 1991 I ran a Porcelain Doll business in Nelson New Zealand called ‘Betsy Lou Dolls.
My name then was Louisa Betts.
During the Last few years a woman came to work for me saying she was Veronica Lake’s daughter. She was very talented in designing dolls clothes and especially hats! Some comments she made about life as a child with her mother rang true; like saying ‘yes, she cuddled me in her furs before going out' as that was the only real contact they had...
She had been to an Ashram in India and was calling herself Anae Swan. As she lived for a while upstairs in my business premises a letter arrived and I initially thought it had gone to the wrong address as it was addressed to a Mrs Berger and she quickly claimed it as hers.

She was a small petit woman with a little gap between her front teeth.
I am born in 1944 and I imagined she was slightly older them me.

She bought a simple house in Nelson not long after that which she called ‘her box’ :-)
We lost touch…

Hope this is of some help.
Kind regards,

Louisa Buchanan

ps; The reason I am emailing you is that I am watching a mini series with Veronica Lane and it all came back so I googled ;Veronica Lane’s daughters and came across your request.
r***@gmail.com
Hi louisa...hows it going? fancy running into you here...came up by accident while I was getting into fb...shall I friend you?
p***@gmail.com
2017-03-09 00:17:43 UTC
I really hope Elaine, by whatever name she goes by now is truly happy, I want to belive that is what her parents wanted for her.
I would love to know her story or read her book, this thread of posts alone is enough to interest me in her life.
m***@gmail.com
2016-04-07 10:48:19 UTC
This is Veronica Lakes daughter Elaine Detlie - http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7486781/Soldier-knew-he-might-not-come-back

Elaine Detlie became known as Ani Sangge Lhamo after becoming a member of the Subud faith in New Zealand.
m***@gmail.com
2016-04-07 10:54:33 UTC

j***@gmail.com
2014-03-26 13:27:14 UTC
The host, Robert Stack, probably knew
Veronica Lake and would be glad to help.
You would have to dig up Mr. Stack to ask him. He died in 2003.
m***@gmail.com
2014-03-26 20:28:01 UTC
I was just trying to share some news which I found very exciting, from now on I'll keep it to myself after having such rude things said to me.
j***@gmail.com
2014-04-01 06:11:20 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I was just trying to share some news which I found very exciting, from now on I'll keep it to myself after having such rude things said to me.
Hi there,

I'm researching Veronica Lake for a project and have been in touch with Donald Bain, Veronica's friend and co-writer of her biography. He mentioned Elaine was writing an autobiography and it wouldn't be surprising for it to be here (although both her and her half-sister Diana seem to live off the grid). I'd love the link to your fansite!
f***@aol.com
2014-03-27 03:18:04 UTC
I've been in touch with several relatives of the 1940's actress, Veronica
Lake (AKA Constance Keane), of "I Married a Witch" fame, but no one seems
to know where she was buried (or cremated) after she died of hepatitis in
Burlington, VT on July 7, 1973. Anyone who could help in this matter would
be greatly appreciated by both myself and her relatives.
In addition, Veronica's first husband, Mr. John Detlie, has been searching
for his daughter by Ms. Lake, Elaine Detlie (or her married name of
Berger), for the last fifty years. Any help in this matter would also be
greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Through several websites, including www.findagrave.com, the following was learned: Veronica Lake's body was cremated. Her cremains sat on a mausoleum shelf for 3 years, for non-payment, until friends paid the cremation costs. The cremains were shipped to Florida, and were scattered at sea of the coast of Maimi, Florida.

First husband John Stewart Detlie, who had been looking for their daughter Elaine (Born August 21, 1941), died November 30, 2005 in Westlake Village, California, at age 95. A retired U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel, he was buried at Riverside National Cermetery in Riverside, California (Section 63d, Site 106).

The daughter Elaine Detlie, who later married Maynard Berger, later became a Buddhist convert to Subud, and relocated to New Zealand. She may have suffered severe health problems in the mid-2000's.

John Stewart Detlie later married B. Virginia Crowel Octiober 12, 1946. They had 2 children who died young: A daughter,Dorothy Ann Detlie, Born/Died June 13, 1953, and a son Christopher Conrad Detlie, who drowned in Seattle Washington June 11, 1959. At the time of John Stewart Detlie's death, he was survived by his wife B. Virginia Crowel Detlie, and daughters Ani Sangee Lhamo of New Zealand, and Holly Allerton and John Stewart Detlie, Jr, both of California.

Frank Reighter
m***@gmail.com
Frank Reighter
m***@gmail.com
c***@gmail.com
2015-04-10 10:16:57 UTC
I am the grandson of Stanley Detlie(deceased). His Brother was John Detlie who was married to Veronica Lake in the 40's. Both my grandfather and his Brother were in the movie business as well.
a***@gmail.com
2015-06-10 06:34:38 UTC
I think that's awesome you have ties to Veronica Lake. I am an old soul and I find myself constantly wishing the women of yesteryear, the Barbara Stanwycks, Ann Sheridans, Joan Fontaines, Esther Williams, Veronica Lakes, Myrna Loys, June Allysons, Deborah Kerrs, and so many more, were alive and well today. They don't make em like they used to (especially in my age bracket since I have been a die hard old soul since
I was 18 and am now 30). It is great to see people still being tied to their ancestors and being proud of it!
Claude Areola
2015-06-10 15:31:17 UTC
Today's women movie stars do not have the legs that the stars of the
past had. Maybe because so many past stars were required to have talent,
and had been dancers on their way to stardom.
c***@gmail.com
2016-02-19 06:56:54 UTC
This is Charles Thompson again. Uncle John Detlie passed away at 96 years old of Lung Cancer in La Quinta California. Do you know if Elaine Detlie was ever found? And did they get a chance to communicate before his passing? Once again I am the Grandson of his brother Stanley. John Detlie and Veronica Lake had another child, a son "William" that was born the same day as my mother. I believe he passed within days of birth. Back then the family was super secretive and no internet. So I found out a lot of things about the family years later.
c***@gmail.com
2016-02-19 23:28:00 UTC
Iam a relative of Veronica Lake. Perhaps I can help.my email is ***@gmail.com
p***@gmail.com
2017-03-09 01:05:33 UTC
http://www.mommyish.com/2011/08/12/portrait-of-a-mother-veronica-lake/

b***@gmail.com
2017-07-03 01:10:53 UTC
I've been in touch with several relatives of the 1940's actress, Veronica
Lake (AKA Constance Keane), of "I Married a Witch" fame, but no one seems
to know where she was buried (or cremated) after she died of hepatitis in
Burlington, VT on July 7, 1973. Anyone who could help in this matter would
be greatly appreciated by both myself and her relatives.
In addition, Veronica's first husband, Mr. John Detlie, has been searching
for his daughter by Ms. Lake, Elaine Detlie (or her married name of
Berger), for the last fifty years. Any help in this matter would also be
greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
While we are at this does anyone know what became of Diane de Toth?