OT: Plural "You"
2017-04-09 17:47:30 UTC
There was discussion a while back about "y'all", so I thought some
might be interested in this link a friend just sent me:
<http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/yall-youuns-yinz-youse-how-regional-dialects-are-fixing-standard-english>
Sarah Ehrett
2017-04-09 19:46:38 UTC
On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 10:47:30 -0700, Terry del Fuego
Post by Terry del Fuego
There was discussion a while back about "y'all", so I thought some
<http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/yall-youuns-yinz-youse-how-regional-dialects-are-fixing-standard-english>
Great link, Terry, thanks for posting it. I'm a "y'all"er.

To expand this a bit I wonder if anyone has a comment on the growing
popularity of "you guyses" ? The urban dictionary claims it is a
northern expression used in place of "y'all" except I've never heard
anyone here in New England say "you guyses" but many youtubers use the
expression including a young lady in Germany uses it *all the bloody
time* on her channel.

< Makes my teeth hurt...>

---
http://www.avg.com
Michael OConnor
2017-04-09 20:14:12 UTC
With all the new gender options that are being created (I read that Facebook recognizes about 60 of them at this time and new ones are being created every day), the term "you" is soon going to be considered a racist term to one group of people or another if it isn't already. I'm not even sure how to conjugate verbs anymore with all the new gender-related pronouns that are constantly evolving in an effort to remove the terms "he" and "she" from the dictionary.
Terry del Fuego
2017-04-09 20:35:14 UTC
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 13:14:12 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
With all the new gender options that are being created
I admire your inspirational ability to make it through a day with all
the persecution that's thrown your way. Your strength and courage
should be a model to us all, but I'm just too weak and can't get over
how quickly something I thought was incredibly innocuous was
immediately turned political.

I hope I have learned my lesson.
marcus
2017-04-10 00:51:19 UTC
Rest assured that no matter what new gender options there may be, "fuck you" will always be appropriate in all cases.
Larc
2017-04-10 13:30:27 UTC
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 13:14:12 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor <***@aol.com> wrote:

| With all the new gender options that are being created (I read that Facebook recognizes about 60 of them at this time and new ones are being created every day), the term "you" is soon going to be considered a racist term to one group of people or another if it isn't already.

That's probably true because of people whose chief goal in life is maintaining
constant alert for something to get offended about.

Larc
c***@aol.com
2017-04-10 14:15:29 UTC
There's he, she, and mentally ill.

marcus
2017-04-10 00:53:33 UTC
I've only heard "you guyses" used on two occasions and both times it was said by a waitperson in a restaurant, as in "Are you guyses ready to order?"
Sarah Ehrett
2017-04-10 02:32:01 UTC
Post by marcus
Post by Sarah Ehrett
To expand this a bit I wonder if anyone has a comment on the growing
popularity of "you guyses" ? >
I've only heard "you guyses" used on two occasions and both times it was said by a waitperson in a restaurant, as in "Are you guyses ready to order?"
Was this in New York? Did your teeth grate ? I think it's awful.
As I said, I have never heard it said here in RI nor in Maryland come
to think of it.

---
http://www.avg.com
Bryan Styble
2017-04-10 05:13:54 UTC
I'll second that [grating] emotion, Sarah!

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Sarah Ehrett
2017-04-10 05:41:07 UTC
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 22:13:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Styble
Post by Bryan Styble
I'll second that [grating] emotion, Sarah!
LOL Thanks Bryan. :)

---
http://www.avg.com