Doris Kenner-Jackson of Shirelles
t***@gmail.com
2015-07-03 09:07:14 UTC

I had the pleasure of booking her as the lead singer in The Shirelles and playing bass in the band that backed her up in the '80's for one night in Northern California. Fortunately, I had a video made of part of the evenings performance and she was stellar from the moment she walked on stage until the end of the evening. Afterwards, I went up to her room to pay her and thank her for creating a wonderful evening for the audience. She and I sat in her room for close to three hours, chatting about all kinds of things, some of which had to do with the early days at Motown. Her personality, soul, talent and warmth really struck me that evening and stays with me even now. I just wanted to share that with you after having read your post. Doris was one of a kind.
Ironman
2015-07-03 14:27:08 UTC
On Saturday, February 5, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Will C wrote:
> Doris Kenner-Jackson of The Shirelles passed away Friday after a battle
> with breast cancer. She was 58. Hers was the lead vocal on "Dedicated to
> the One I Love." What a shame.

She was a great singer in a milestone group. The Shirelles' "Dedicated To The One I Love" peaked at #83 in 1959, but when it was re-released in 1961 it went to #3.

With all due respect, it was originally recorded in 1958 ... 57 years ago. She would have had to record it at age 1. Yet all the sources I have checked say she was 58 when she passed. After singing lead on a 57 year old recording.
Kenny McCormack
2015-07-03 14:57:01 UTC
In article <543d196a-7923-4d83-b3ae-***@googlegroups.com>,
Ironman <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, February 5, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Will C wrote:
>> Doris Kenner-Jackson of The Shirelles passed away Friday after a battle
>> with breast cancer. She was 58. Hers was the lead vocal on "Dedicated to
>> the One I Love." What a shame.
>

>She was a great singer in a milestone group. The Shirelles' "Dedicated To The
>One I Love" peaked at #83 in 1959, but when it was re-released in 1961 it went to
>#3.
>
>With all due respect, it was originally recorded in 1958 ... 57 years ago. She
>would have had to record it at age 1. Yet all the sources I have checked say she
>was 58 when she passed. After singing lead on a 57 year old recording.

To be fair, it says she went on-topic in 2000, so she would have been 16-ish
in 1958. That's young, but not impossible.

--
"The anti-regulation business ethos is based on the charmingly naive notion
that people will not do unspeakable things for money." - Dana Carpender

Quoted by Paul Ciszek (pciszek at panix dot com). But what I want to know
is why is this diet/low-carb food author doing making pithy political/economic
statements?

Nevertheless, the above quote is dead-on, because, the thing is - business
in one breath tells us they don't need to be regulated (which is to say:
that they can morally self-regulate), then in the next breath tells us that
corporations are amoral entities which have no obligations to anyone except
their officers and shareholders, then in the next breath they tell us they
don't need to be regulated (that they can morally self-regulate) ...
A Friend
2015-07-03 14:58:51 UTC
Ironman <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 5, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Will C wrote:
> > Doris Kenner-Jackson of The Shirelles passed away Friday after a battle
> > with breast cancer. She was 58. Hers was the lead vocal on "Dedicated to
> > the One I Love." What a shame.
>

> She was a great singer in a milestone group. The Shirelles' "Dedicated To
> The One I Love" peaked at #83 in 1959, but when it was re-released in 1961 it
> went to #3.
>
> With all due respect, it was originally recorded in 1958 ... 57 years ago.
> She would have had to record it at age 1. Yet all the sources I have checked
> say she was 58 when she passed. After singing lead on a 57 year old recording.

With all due respect, if you're going to call bullshit on someone
else's post, you ought to try paying some attention to the header line.
Doris was indeed 58 when she "passed" -- on February 4, 2000, the day
before Will C posted. Doris turned 17 on August 2, 1958, and so was
more than old enough to sing the lead on "Dedicated to the One I Love."
Ironman
2015-07-03 15:30:48 UTC

Then the headline should have been posted and identified as a legacy article.
A Friend
2015-07-03 16:11:21 UTC
In article <b3348e1a-dcb0-4cf2-998a-***@googlegroups.com>,
Ironman <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:58:54 AM UTC-5, A Friend wrote:
> > In article <543d196a-7923-4d83-b3ae-***@googlegroups.com>,
> > Ironman <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > She was a great singer in a milestone group. The Shirelles' "Dedicated To
> > > The One I Love" peaked at #83 in 1959, but when it was re-released in
> > > 1961 it
> > > went to #3.
> > >
> > > With all due respect, it was originally recorded in 1958 ... 57 years
> > > ago.
> > > She would have had to record it at age 1. Yet all the sources I have
> > > checked
> > > say she was 58 when she passed. After singing lead on a 57 year old
> > > recording.
> >

> > With all due respect, if you're going to call bullshit on someone
> > else's post, you ought to try paying some attention to the header line.
> > Doris was indeed 58 when she "passed" -- on February 4, 2000, the day
> > before Will C posted. Doris turned 17 on August 2, 1958, and so was
> > more than old enough to sing the lead on "Dedicated to the One I Love."
>

> Then the headline should have been posted and identified as a legacy article.

My guess is that you pulled this from a Google search. Next time, you
might try reading the date stamp.
MJ Emigh
2015-07-04 05:33:15 UTC

Huh? Is this some new category that was added when I wasn't looking?
David Carson
2015-07-03 16:17:00 UTC
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 08:30:48 -0700 (PDT), Ironman <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:58:54 AM UTC-5, A Friend wrote:
>> With all due respect, if you're going to call bullshit on someone
>> else's post, you ought to try paying some attention to the header line.
>> Doris was indeed 58 when she "passed" -- on February 4, 2000, the day
>> before Will C posted. Doris turned 17 on August 2, 1958, and so was
>> more than old enough to sing the lead on "Dedicated to the One I Love."
>

>Then the headline should have been posted and identified as a legacy article.

So your dumb mistake made from inattention was someone else's fault, for
not alerting you to pay attention. You're an Obama voter, I presume.
c***@aol.com
2015-07-03 16:49:56 UTC
A legacy article? Where do people get this shit? An obvious liberal not taking responsibility for their stupidity.
Kenny McCormack
2015-07-03 19:02:34 UTC
In article <mn6cg5$mfu$***@dont-email.me>,
David Carson <***@neosoft.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 08:30:48 -0700 (PDT), Ironman <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:58:54 AM UTC-5, A Friend wrote:
>>> With all due respect, if you're going to call bullshit on someone
>>> else's post, you ought to try paying some attention to the header line.
>>> Doris was indeed 58 when she "passed" -- on February 4, 2000, the day
>>> before Will C posted. Doris turned 17 on August 2, 1958, and so was
>>> more than old enough to sing the lead on "Dedicated to the One I Love."
>>

>>Then the headline should have been posted and identified as a legacy article.
>
>So your dumb mistake made from inattention was someone else's fault, for
>not alerting you to pay attention. You're an Obama voter, I presume.

Much more likely a Bush voter (in 2000 & 2004).

And probably will be again in 2016.

--
They say compassion is a virtue, but I don't have the time!

- David Byrne -
Sarah Ehrett
2015-07-04 21:17:05 UTC

He's claiming a Bryan Styble. :)
Anglo Saxon
2015-07-03 19:04:48 UTC

Where did your love go? Don't mess with Ken; leave our Kenny alone.
c***@aol.com
2015-07-03 19:46:51 UTC
Seen on an email from a liberal:

"You may call it discovery, I call it the rape of the natural world."

Typical cluelessness from the left.
g***@gmail.com
2018-03-09 04:14:31 UTC

I too knew Doris and was always inspired by her love for everyone. I was the musical director/ Guitar player for the group at the time you mention, Doris, Micky and Beverly....and of course you cannot leave out Ronnie. I also enjoyed talking with her about life, and her love for God and family. She was always an honest down to earth person that treated everyone with love and respect. I am saddened about her passing, but I know I will see her again.
news.aioe.org
2018-03-12 16:35:42 UTC
<***@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> her
> to be remembered a little more personally than that. Thanks for reading.
> Diane
>
> Will C <***@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > Doris Kenner-Jackson of The Shirelles passed away Friday after a battle
> > with breast cancer. She was 58. Hers was the lead vocal on "Dedicated to
> > the One I Love." What a shame.

I too knew Doris and was always inspired by her love for everyone. I was the
musical director/ Guitar player for the group at the time you mention,
Doris, Micky and Beverly....and of course you cannot leave out Ronnie. I
also enjoyed talking with her about life, and her love for God and family.
She was always an honest down to earth person that treated everyone with
love and respect. I am saddened about her passing, but I know I will see her

Wow, it was great to see this header. I'm the one who wrote the original
post in February 2000. I'm sure I met you at the time. If I saw a photo, I'd
know.

Ronnie was a character, wasn't he?!

I moved from Boston to Las Vegas in December '99 and was looking forward to
surprising Doris the next time they played on The Strip, as I knew she had
moved to California and was with the west coast Shirelles. I still think of
her often.

---