"Chock Full O'Nuts" slogan writer & playwright Arkady Leokum, 92, in Sept. 2008
Add Reply
Lenona
2010-12-20 17:23:16 UTC
Born in Russia, he attended the City College of New York. He lived in
West Stockbridge, Massachusetts.
According to this -

http://www.tributes.com/show/Arkady-Leokum-84349894

- he died one month before his 93rd birthday.

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=active&biw=1440&bih=710&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=arkady+leokum&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
(book covers)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0502439/
(short filmography)

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=active&biw=1440&bih=710&q=arkady%20leokum%20&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=vid:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wv&fp=8eeb38f3e0e9fa02
(videos based on "Tell Me Why")

From "Contemporary Authors":

In the advertising world, Arkady Leokum may be best known for his
slogan for the Chock Full O'Nuts coffee ad campaign, a slogan that
pushed Chock Full O'Nuts from a seventh-rank position to third, in
what is considered America's toughest taste market, New York City.
"Don't spend the extra money for this coffee . . . unless you're just
plain crazy about good coffee!"........

.........Leokum's plays have fared equally well. In 1971 the Public
Broadcasting Service presented two of them as television specials.
"Enemies" starred Sam Jaffe and Ned Glass; "Neighbors" featured Andrew
Duggan, Jane Wyatt, and Cicely Tyson. The social commentary in
Leokum's plays, particularly in "Neighbors," stabs unmercifully at the
prejudices of its viewers, and the success of this play seems to lie
in the cunning with which Leokum writes the palaver between the two
main couples, creating the uneasiness that characteristically shrouds
"non-prejudiced" society.

WRITINGS BY THE AUTHOR:
NOVELS

* Please Send Me, Absolutely Free . . ., Harper, 1946.
* The Temple, World Publishing, 1969.

CHILDREN'S BOOKS

* Tell Me Why, Grosset, 1965 (also see below).
* More Tell Me Why: Answers to Over Four Hundred Questions
Children Ask Most Often, Grosset, 1967 (also see below).
* Still More Tell Me Why: Answers to Hundreds of Questions
Children Ask, Grosset, 1968.
* The Quiz Book, Grosset, 1968.
* Puzzles, Stunts, Brain Teasers, and Tricks From Tell Me Why,
Grosset, 1969 (also see above).

* Lots More Tell Me Why: Answers to Hundreds of Questions Children
Ask, Grosset, 1972.
* Tell Me Why: Answers to Questions Children Ask About Love, Sex,
and Babies, Grosset, 1974.
* Animals, Insects, Fishes, and Birds: How They Live and Do What
They Do (originally published in Tell Me Why; see above), Grosset,
1976.
* How Things Are Made: How They Work . . . Where They Come From
(originally published in Tell Me Why; see above), Grosset, 1976.
* How Things Began: Who Made Them First . . . How New Ideas Got
Started (originally published in Tell Me Why; see above), Grosset,
1976.
* How Things Got Started: How We Use, Enjoy, and Believe in Them
(originally published in More Tell Me Why; see above), Grosset, 1976.
* The Human Body: How It Works . . . How Things Happen to It
(originally published in More Tell Me Why; see above), Grosset, 1976.
* The World We Live In: How and Why Things Happen on Earth
(originally published in Tell Me Why; see above), Grosset, 1976.
* The Curious Book: Fascinating Facts About People, Places, and
Things, Sterling Publishing, 1976.
* (With Paul Posnick and Stanley Corwin) Where Words Were Born,
Corwin, 1977.
* Another Tell Me Why: Enlightening Answers to Questions Children
Ask, Grosset, 1977.

PLAYS

* Friends and Enemies (two one-acts; first produced in New York
City at Theatre East, September 16, 1965), Samuel French, 1977.
* Neighbors: A Play, Dramatists Play Service, 1972.

Lenona.
r***@gmail.com
2018-08-18 17:21:30 UTC

Dear Lenona, this is a wonderful set of links that are hard to find, so thank you! I encountered them today while doing some research about Arkady Leokum. I am working on improving his Wikipedia page. Do you happen to have the source (link, title, etc.) for the "Contemporary Authors" text you provided? If you can provide the source, I can add it all to his Wikipedia page. Thank you!
l***@yahoo.com
2018-08-20 19:37:23 UTC
On Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 1:21:32 PM UTC-4, ***@gmail.com wrote:

> Dear Lenona, this is a wonderful set of links that are hard to find, so thank you!

You're welcome!

Do you happen to have the source (link, title, etc.) for the "Contemporary Authors" text you provided?

Well, not without using my library card.

Your local library should be able to give you more information, regarding that database. To get to it, you usually have to go through "Biography in Context" first - that's also at the library.

Lenona.
Harvey Fenwick Lung
2018-08-21 15:24:43 UTC
... Better coffee millionaire's money can't buy,
danny burstein
2018-08-21 16:17:08 UTC
In <***@4ax.com> Harvey Fenwick Lung <***@null.net> writes:

>... Better coffee millionaire's money can't buy,

Updated a few years ago to "... coffee a _billiionaire's_ money can't buy"

***@panix.com
2018-08-21 18:49:34 UTC
In article <plhdu4$s7t$***@reader1.panix.com>, danny burstein
<***@panix.com> wrote:

> In <***@4ax.com> Harvey Fenwick Lung
> <***@null.net> writes:
>
> >... Better coffee millionaire's money can't buy,
>
> Updated a few years ago to "... coffee a _billiionaire's_ money can't buy"

Originally a 1954 song by the McGuire Sisters, "That Heavenly Feeling":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-vwbr_xbk

Then, in 1984, it became "I Want to Know," sung by CFoN jingle singer
(and CFoN's co-founder's wife) Page Morton Black:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiYQ99Gz0-A
l***@yahoo.com
2018-08-29 20:10:45 UTC

And often, you'll find the exact same articles at encyclopedia.com, but not always.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-08-29 20:17:36 UTC

> And often, you'll find the exact same articles at encyclopedia.com, but not always.

Another:

http://biography.jrank.org/
Bermuda999
2018-08-30 10:50:44 UTC
On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 4:17:38 PM UTC-4, ***@yahoo.com wrote:

> > And often, you'll find the exact same articles at encyclopedia.com, but not always.
>

> Another:
>
> http://biography.jrank.org/

So you're saying they just need to leokum up?