deathwatch: Roger Ebert
James Neibaur
2006-07-03 01:03:58 UTC
I just heard on Chicago radio that Roger Ebert's condition is pretty grim.
I think we may have to upgrade the watch, unfortunately.

Hope he makes it

JN
Colonel Buckshot
2006-07-03 02:11:58 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
I just heard on Chicago radio that Roger Ebert's condition is pretty grim.
I think we may have to upgrade the watch, unfortunately.
Hope he makes it
JN
Let's hope for no upgrade. I often disagree with Mr. Ebert's opinions
(including his reported opposition to releasing Song of the South on
DVD), but respect him as one who is very good at what he does. His
shows with Gene Siskel were quite entertaining, although not nearly as
entertaining as the outtakes that show up on YouTube, etc. :)

Did the radio station provide any details? A google search hasn't
shown anything but the "serious but stable" stories that were issued
earlier today and the Sun Times website doesn't have any recent
updates.

Thanks.
James Neibaur
2006-07-03 02:33:07 UTC
Colonel Buckshot 7/2/06 9:11 PM
Post by Colonel Buckshot
Post by James Neibaur
I just heard on Chicago radio that Roger Ebert's condition is pretty grim.
I think we may have to upgrade the watch, unfortunately.
Hope he makes it
JN
Let's hope for no upgrade. I often disagree with Mr. Ebert's opinions
(including his reported opposition to releasing Song of the South on
DVD), but respect him as one who is very good at what he does. His
shows with Gene Siskel were quite entertaining, although not nearly as
entertaining as the outtakes that show up on YouTube, etc. :)
Did the radio station provide any details? A google search hasn't
shown anything but the "serious but stable" stories that were issued
earlier today and the Sun Times website doesn't have any recent
updates.
Thanks.
Just that there were complications and his condition is more serious. The
tone was very somber and they indicated, in so many words, that he may not
last the night.

Reports like this have been wrong before. Hope he pulls through somehow.

JN
Loki
2006-07-03 03:42:00 UTC
Post by Colonel Buckshot
Post by James Neibaur
[...]
This one blind sided me. Please keep the group updated, and let us all
keep Roger in our thoughts and prayers.

Loki

To support our men and women overseas
who may not be getting packages from home,
you can get some ideas as to how to do so at:
http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm

It is a non profit, volunteer run organization.

I encourage everyone to check it out,
respond from the heart, and pass it
along to anyone you think may want
to remember our overseas military personnel,
throughout the year.
JeffinMS
2006-07-03 03:47:51 UTC
Post by Colonel Buckshot
Post by James Neibaur
[...]
He just did a show (Superman Returns, Prada etc) this week and looked and
sounded in perfect health. Amazing how fast things can go from OK to
downhill.
James Neibaur
2006-07-03 03:50:43 UTC
JeffinMS 7/2/06 10:47 PM
Six weeks of shows were taped in advance
JeffinMS
Oh
Laurie Mann
2006-07-03 10:32:20 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
JeffinMS 7/2/06 10:47 PM
Post by JeffinMS
He just did a show (Superman Returns, Prada etc) this week and looked and
sounded in perfect health. Amazing how fast things can go from OK to
downhill.
Six weeks of shows were taped in advance
Since he knew about a month ago he had to have more surgery, he may
have been able to have advanced screnings of more movies and review
them earlier, to keep his show and his column up to date.

I've been a fan of his for about 30 years, so I hope he does OK.
James Neibaur
2006-07-03 03:56:32 UTC
Loki 7/2/06 10:42 PM
Post by Loki
This one blind sided me. Please keep the group updated, and let us all
keep Roger in our thoughts and prayers.
I met him once and emailed with him a few times. He was always very
encouraging and supportive of my work.

positive energy

JN
Loki
2006-07-03 04:12:34 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
Loki 7/2/06 10:42 PM
Post by Loki
This one blind sided me. Please keep the group updated, and let us all
keep Roger in our thoughts and prayers.
I met him once and emailed with him a few times. He was always very
encouraging and supportive of my work.
positive energy
I have a friend from high school who works at the Trib. We got caught
up at our reunion back in September and he talked very fondly about
Roger Ebert. "down to earth regular people" is how he was described.

throughout the year.
Kent
2006-07-03 04:36:18 UTC
According to the radio station I heard on the way home at 12:05 Eastern (or
thereabouts), his family "expected him to make a full recovery".
kaleman7
2006-07-03 14:56:34 UTC
In the past few years, bad health has tainted his reviews. A sick man
sees a movie in a different light from a healthy active one. He should
have retired. Sad situation .
JN
Terry del Fuego
2006-07-03 12:50:27 UTC
On 2 Jul 2006 19:11:58 -0700, "Colonel Buckshot"
Post by Colonel Buckshot
Let's hope for no upgrade. I often disagree with Mr. Ebert's opinions
(including his reported opposition to releasing Song of the South on
DVD), but respect him as one who is very good at what he does.
I've often appreciated his ability to place a movie in the context of
its own genre. Instead of automatically dismissing, say, all cheap
horror movies, he seems to have the ability to appreciate when one
rises above the rest of the junk.
d***@comcast.net
2006-07-03 15:33:30 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
I've often appreciated his ability to place a movie in the context of
its own genre. Instead of automatically dismissing, say, all cheap
horror movies, he seems to have the ability to appreciate when one
rises above the rest of the junk.
Let us not forget that Mr. Ebert shared writing credits with Russ Meyer
for "Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens".
Stacia
2006-07-03 15:46:52 UTC
Post by d***@comcast.net
Post by Terry del Fuego
I've often appreciated his ability to place a movie in the context of
its own genre. Instead of automatically dismissing, say, all cheap
horror movies, he seems to have the ability to appreciate when one
rises above the rest of the junk.
Let us not forget that Mr. Ebert shared writing credits with Russ Meyer
for "Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens".
I don't get the joke.

Stacia
d***@comcast.net
It's not a joke.
Brad Ferguson
2006-07-03 18:34:08 UTC
Post by Stacia
Post by d***@comcast.net
Post by Terry del Fuego
I've often appreciated his ability to place a movie in the context of
its own genre. Instead of automatically dismissing, say, all cheap
horror movies, he seems to have the ability to appreciate when one
rises above the rest of the junk.
Let us not forget that Mr. Ebert shared writing credits with Russ Meyer
for "Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens".
I don't get the joke.
Stacia
No joke. Ebert co-wrote the film.

Ebert also co-wrote the nine-years-earlier "Beyond the Valley of the
Dolls" with Meyer.
GS
2006-07-03 18:46:48 UTC
Post by Brad Ferguson
Post by Stacia
Post by d***@comcast.net
Let us not forget that Mr. Ebert shared writing credits with Russ Meyer
for "Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens".
I don't get the joke.
Stacia
No joke. Ebert co-wrote the film.
Ebert also co-wrote the nine-years-earlier "Beyond the Valley of the
Dolls" with Meyer.
BtVotD just came out on DVD a few weeks ago, with a near-pristine print
and two different commentary tracks, one with several of the cast taking
part, and one with just Ebert. Ebert's commentary amounts to pretty much a
paean to Russ Meyer, both as friend and as moviemaker. Seeing the film for
the first time, what surprised me was how *un*-campy it was, especially
given the bizarre story and Ebert's corn-fed dialogue ... compared to
Meyer's other movies, this is pretty tame stuff.
King Daevid MacKenzie
2006-07-03 19:14:55 UTC
[Beneath the Valley of the Dolls] just came out on DVD a few weeks ago, with a near-pristine print
and two different commentary tracks, one with several of the cast taking
part, and one with just Ebert. Ebert's commentary amounts to pretty much a
paean to Russ Meyer, both as friend and as moviemaker. Seeing the film for
the first time, what surprised me was how *un*-campy it was, especially
given the bizarre story and Ebert's corn-fed dialogue ... compared to
Meyer's other movies, this is pretty tame stuff.
...of course, it was done for 20th Century-Fox. Working for the Zanucks
had much the same effect on Meyer that it did on Roger Corman (THE ST.
VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE). Get into bed with the Devil, you better be
prepared to --- well, you know the rest...
--
King Daevid MacKenzie, WLSU-FM 88.9 La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
heard Sundays 8:00 A.M. PST/PDT over KRFP-LP 92.5 Moscow, Idaho and at
HARLAN ELLISON
James Neibaur
2006-07-03 18:48:05 UTC
Just heard on Chicago radio that while his condition remains serious, it is
now stable, so maybe Roger will come out of this ok.

JN
Stacia
2006-07-03 21:36:54 UTC
Post by Brad Ferguson
Post by Stacia
Post by d***@comcast.net
Post by Terry del Fuego
its own genre. Instead of automatically dismissing, say, all cheap
horror movies, he seems to have the ability to appreciate when one
rises above the rest of the junk.
Let us not forget that Mr. Ebert shared writing credits with Russ Meyer
for "Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens".
I don't get the joke.
No joke. Ebert co-wrote the film.
Ebert also co-wrote the nine-years-earlier "Beyond the Valley of the
Dolls" with Meyer.
I'm aware of all of this. But your explanations are *fascinating*.

Stacia
James Neibaur
I'd give anything to see an entire Ebert show devoted to the Troma films
R H Draney
2006-07-03 19:01:24 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
Terry del Fuego 7/3/06 7:50 AM
Post by Terry del Fuego
I've often appreciated his ability to place a movie in the context of
its own genre. Instead of automatically dismissing, say, all cheap
horror movies, he seems to have the ability to appreciate when one
rises above the rest of the junk.
I'd give anything to see an entire Ebert show devoted to the Troma films
Didn't he once voice a glowing appraisal of the movies of Doris Wishman?...r
--
It's the crack on the wall and the stain on the cup that gets to you
in the very end...every cat has its fall when it runs out of luck,
you're screwed...and when it's blue, it's blue.
d***@comcast.net
2006-07-03 21:51:11 UTC
I heard that a local dj today blamied Ebert's problems on the Superman
curse. His theory was that since Ebert gave the new Superman movie a
bad review, that's why he's having the problems he's having now. Is
that crazy or what?
James Neibaur
2006-07-03 22:06:19 UTC
Post by d***@comcast.net
I heard that a local dj today blamied Ebert's problems on the Superman
curse. His theory was that since Ebert gave the new Superman movie a
bad review, that's why he's having the problems he's having now. Is
that crazy or what?
It is crazy.

Another crazy one: Ebert gave a really heavy pan to Vincent Gallo's movie
Brown Bunny, calling it the worst films ever to play Cannes, and after that
Gallo allegedly had Kenneth Anger put a satanic curse on Ebert -- and then
Ebert got cancer. Since the cancer, Ebert watched a re-edited print of
Brown Bunny and gave it a Thumbs Up review on his TV show, and never really
panned another movie (lowest he seems to give is two stars).

The truth is, Mr Ebert is suffering from cancer and is in serious but stable
condition. And we are hoping for his full recovery.

JN
m***@yahoo.com
2006-07-04 00:23:09 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
I just heard on Chicago radio that Roger Ebert's condition is pretty grim.
I think we may have to upgrade the watch, unfortunately.
Hope he makes it
JN
I had heard many news reports ** hours prior** to your "deathwatch"
post and every single story listed him in serious but stable condition.

You did not mention the radio station, whether it was the news or some
DJ speculating.

Why are you so quick to believe what some radio station says without
any corroboration whatsoever?
James Neibaur
2006-07-04 01:51:15 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.com
I had heard many news reports ** hours prior** to your "deathwatch"
post and every single story listed him in serious but stable condition.
so did I -- and very very often they downplay the seriousness of a famous
person's condition
Post by m***@yahoo.com
You did not mention the radio station, whether it was the news or some
DJ speculating.
It was the news, and they have since reverted back to the serious-yet-stable
comment they had started with

I am seriously hoping he is indeed recovering, as I admire his work and am
concerned at that level.

JN
m***@yahoo.com
2006-07-04 07:41:14 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
Post by m***@yahoo.com
I had heard many news reports ** hours prior** to your "deathwatch"
post and every single story listed him in serious but stable condition.
so did I -- and very very often they downplay the seriousness of a famous
person's condition
Who downplays it? The media? The family?

I don't think the media ever downplays the seriousness of a person's
condition. The media simply reports on the information available to
them. The hospitals seem to do an excellent job of protecting patient
privacy, so the information available to the media is essentially what
the family wants to make public. In this case, they wanted it to be
known that he was in serious but stable condition and expected to make
a full recovery and that was what was reported by several sources.

I can see families possibly wanting to downplay the condition but it
doesn't make much sense in this case. If he was in grave condition, I
would just imagine that they would issue a "No comment." rather than
trying to downplay it.

The tabloids OTOH will frequently sensationalize and make an illness
much more serious than it is.
JN
Brad Ferguson
2006-07-04 11:30:26 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.com
Post by James Neibaur
Post by m***@yahoo.com
I had heard many news reports ** hours prior** to your "deathwatch"
post and every single story listed him in serious but stable condition.
so did I -- and very very often they downplay the seriousness of a famous
person's condition
Who downplays it? The media? The family?
I don't think the media ever downplays the seriousness of a person's
condition.
It's done routinely. In my own experience, Jackie Gleason. In
everyone else's, Ronald Reagan and the late Pope.
Post by m***@yahoo.com
The media simply reports on the information available to
them. The hospitals seem to do an excellent job of protecting patient
privacy, so the information available to the media is essentially what
the family wants to make public. In this case, they wanted it to be
known that he was in serious but stable condition and expected to make
a full recovery and that was what was reported by several sources.
Families and agents routinely lie about the condition of their pet
celebrities. They are not trustworthy sources.

As sources, hospitals are useless. They occasionally make fully vetted
statements on behalf of the family, which gives the proceedings an air
of authority (and supplies pretty pictures for the 6 o'clock news).
Post by m***@yahoo.com
I can see families possibly wanting to downplay the condition but it
doesn't make much sense in this case. If he was in grave condition, I
would just imagine that they would issue a "No comment." rather than
trying to downplay it.
You can imagine whatever you like, but the tendency for families is to
spin the story in a positive way. I really don't blame them for acting
that way, but you can't rely on what the family might say.

In short, it was entirely possible that a local reporter in Chicago had
a good source telling him that Ebert (a major local figure) was dying,
and Mr. Neibaur was correct to pay attention. We've seen obits break
in the oddest places -- Marlon Brando's comes to mind.
Bill Schenley
2006-07-05 03:31:46 UTC
Post by Brad Ferguson
If he was in grave condition, I would just imagine
that they would issue a "No comment." rather
than trying to downplay it.
You can imagine whatever you like, but the
tendency for families is to spin the story in a positive
way. I really don't blame them for acting that way,
but you can't rely on what the family might say.
Whenever I hear (or read) an agent or family member say: "We expect a full
recovery." ... I immediately add the person's name to my deadpool list for
the following year.
Post by Brad Ferguson
In short, it was entirely possible that a local
reporter in Chicago had a good source telling him
that Ebert (a major local figure) was dying, and
Mr. Neibaur was correct to pay attention. We've
seen obits break in the oddest places -- Marlon
Brando's comes to mind.
... And whenever I read: "We expect a full recovery ... with God's help."
I think: Fuck. This poor bastard will never make it to the new year.
James Neibaur
2006-07-04 12:05:22 UTC
Usually the front people, sometimes the family, not the media.
TJ-BF
2006-07-04 12:40:21 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

"James Neibaur" <***@wi.rr.com> wrote in message news:C0CFC4D9.78693%***@wi.rr.com...

at 7:05am CDT
Post by James Neibaur
Post by m***@yahoo.com
Who downplays it? The media? The family?
Usually the front people, sometimes the family, not the media.
Rebutted by Brad Ferguson from a previous poster, below.
--Brad Ferguson (July 4, 6:30am CDT)
Chief Joseph
2006-07-04 19:44:03 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.com
Who downplays it? The media? The family?
I can recall a lot of "Mr. Sinatra is just fine, the rumors of his poor
health are false," right before he kicked the bucket.
FragileWarrior
2006-07-04 14:12:48 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.com
Why are you so quick to believe what some radio station says without
any corroboration whatsoever?
Note newsgroup name. This is not
alt.happy.chippy.chirpy.good-times.and.pleasant.thoughts newsgroup.
Colonel Buckshot
2006-07-07 22:24:43 UTC
Do we dare cancel this watch? Is no news good news in this case? The
Sun Times website update on Ebert lists him as "stable" but hasn't had
an update in several days.

I sincerely hope this means he is recuperating.
James Neibaur
2006-07-07 23:20:22 UTC
Colonel Buckshot 7/7/06 5:24 PM
Post by Colonel Buckshot
Do we dare cancel this watch? Is no news good news in this case? The
Sun Times website update on Ebert lists him as "stable" but hasn't had
an update in several days.
I sincerely hope this means he is recuperating.
I cancelled the deathwatch a few days ago and downgraded it back to
healthwatch. I also hope he is recuperating and getting well