Sgt. Pepper Re-Release Set For June with Penny Lane and Strawbeery Fields Forver
Wir Munchen Liebschoen
2017-04-06 16:27:20 UTC
The 50th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band will be celebrated with a special re-release of the iconic album. The Beatles’ eighth studio album will be released “as the band had intended it to sound”, according to the UK-based newspaper The Sunday Times. This special edition will include the songs Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane.
The sessions for Sgt. Pepper started late 1966, when the band recorded the two songs. McCartney remembers: “John wrote this absolutely amazing song, Strawberry Fields Forever, for the new album. I was frankly a bit jealous, so I went home and wrote Penny Lane. It worked and we wanted them as the main tracks on Sgt. Pepper.”
But under pressure of record company EMI the songs were released as a double A-side single. Because The Beatles used to not include singles on albums, the pair didn’t end on Sgt. Pepper. The decision to release Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever as a single was according to producer George Martin “a truly terrible mistake”.
Now it’s been said that both songs will be reinstated, just as Lennon and McCartney intended. More details about the re-release are being kept secret, but all parties involved have co-operated fully, including Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison, the widows of Lennon and Harrison. The re-release is set for Juni 1, exactly fifty years after the original.
Another major concern is where do they intend to put them? The order of the songs on Pepper's is already firmly cemented in everyone' brain. So believe me, you can't just go around plugging in songs where there were no songs before. It Will change the entire listening experience, and that's going to be unpleasant for most.
I remember several years ago Fleetwood Mac re-released 'Rumors", I think it was. The band had always felt really bad that one song had to be omitted from the original line up because of time factors. That song was the great 'Silver Springs" by Stevie Nicks. When the re-release came out, they ended up sticking it in what had once been the end of side 2. And even though it was a titanic song, it still screwed it up for me. I had simply head it too many times the other way for me to overcome (I think I listened to that record once). It'll be the same thing with Pepper's. You'll see. I wonder how the new version will fair on the chars? The original will probably chart again, too..
You've gone and echoed my sentiments, prezactly.
Sgt Pepper - and everything by the Beatles - can never be 'screwed up'. The remix should be interesting.
How can placing Penny Lane or Strawberry Fields Forever mess anything up?
I'm all in. I ordered the 2-CD version after reading this thread.
How are you "all in" if you are not getting the deluxe set with all the
missing studio banter, etc?
And I'm listening to Rubber Soul on Amazon Prime as I type this.
Well that certainly is keeping in the Sergeant Pecker spirit, what?
Wir Munchen Liebschoen
2017-04-11 17:05:24 UTC
[...]
I thought the release date was April 26.
They sped up the release date for you because of all your near death
posts, Jeffie.
Wir Munchen Liebschoen
2017-04-13 13:24:18 UTC
Pepper is my favorite Beatles album, and possibly my one go to if I
only could have one album. BUT to me, re-issuing it like this is just
stupid....or shall I say meaningless. The fact is, it wasn't released
like this SO I DON'T CARE NOW. It was released as it was released and
nothing can change that now.
Huh? It will be changed when this is released.
Is jtees4 another "conservative type"?
As a matter of fact, he is, more or less. I don't think he's talked about politics much here though. He and I know each other from other forums, and by the way we get along just fine. You appear to be the only one who has taken umbrage at my statement, which was simply an observation, not an attack as you imagine.
Maybe it's time for you to let this go?
Remember Monkee Girl's posts with Jeff...she doesn't know how to let go.
That description is more apropos to the libtard snowflakes like yourself
who can't let go of the fact that you lost the election.

Now all you do is piss and moan like a bunch of petulant, spoilt pillocks.

The world hates you lot.
Wir Munchen Liebschoen
2017-04-13 13:26:55 UTC
The 50th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
will be celebrated with a special re-release of the iconic album.
The Beatles' eighth studio album will be released "as the
band had intended it to sound" , according to the UK-based
newspaper The Sunday Times. This special edition will include the
songs Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane.
I'm skeptical about this. As far as I know, those songs were earmarked
for a single release and never really considered for the album, let
along assigned a position in the running order. The album itself is
iconic and I don't think shoehorning familiar non-album songs in the
middle is going to improve it. If this concept were to real sense,
they'd have to remove some songs... and I certainly wouldn't want that.
And, of course, nothing should follow "A Day in the Life" (except maybe
dog tones.)
There's not really much point in just reissuing the album with extra
songs that we already have. You can already do it yourself if you want.
I wouldn't mind a remix, though, if they are as good as the best of the
LOVE and Yellow Submarine Songtrack ones. And I'd enjoy some demos and
alternate takes.
I'd just like to know, if the addition of the 2 songs being spoken of being added to the Pepper album, does actually come to pass 50 years after the fact, then who would be the *GREAT DECIDER* of precisely where they would selectively be placed or sequenced?
PR is going to be the GREAT DECIDER. That way mucus can vomit up his
commie cuisine.
All Hail PR while Marcus remains confused as to whether his favorite hero is called Lenin or Lennon.
And I have to agree wholeheartedly, Nil, that ADITL ought to permanently remain as the closing number to this masterpiece album from the summer of 67 for at least the next 300 years.
Sergeant Pecker has already been around longer than most communist
states. In 300 years we will still be ruled by the Trump dynasty.
I'd hope the Putin dynasty also continues on with his Trump alliance long after Killary and Obummer are imprisoned for treason.
Trump will be out of office, way before that happens.
Trump is going to be President for 8 years. Get used to it.

Clinton is in such poor health who knows how long that bitch will
continue to regale us with her screaming left wing 1960's feminazi
diatribes.

Obozo will go back to Kenya and live with his pals the chimpcoms.
Wir Munchen Liebschoen
Another great comment by Jeffie Sicknote.
Wir Munchen Liebschoen
2017-04-13 13:33:47 UTC
[...]
Not to be a buzz kill, but I read later on today that the album is indeed being re-released but the information about "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" included on it is incorrect. Apparently there is something special about the re-release, but that information is guarded right now.
Every review I've ever read on this subject says that these 2 songs will be
included. So now they have two less songs for the Magical Mystery Tour album.
What 2 songs will they use on that album to take it's place?
You're not really a Beatles fan are you?

Those two songs were originally meant for the next Beatles album
following Revolver. They were not meant for MMT which was always meant
to be a double EP of songs that were in that shit telly show.

Get over it you silly twit.
Jake D Jude
2017-04-15 10:57:49 UTC
Which, come to think of it , I wasn't even there (at home in SoCal) at that time due to my military obligation which had me living atop some isolated mountain top Army base in West Germany, from July 1968 to March 1970.
Thank you for your service.

That is something the commie Marcass can't relate to since he dodged the
draft. He was probably enjoying himself someplace in Canada or Sweden
whilst true patriots like yourself were serving this great country.
Captain Bob
People in this great country don't use words such as "whilst."
chester
2017-04-18 13:21:17 UTC
I can't remember if it was WBAI or WNEW that I heard the proposed "Get Back" album then. Maybe both stations. Someone had the album from England and played it for a few days until they were told to cease and desist. I remember hearing, "Let It Be", "Teddy Boy", and "One After 909". I had the melody of "Let It Be " in my head, but didn't hear it again for another six months after hearing it the first time.
Apology will be forthcoming as soon as it's shown that the Get Back album also showed up on the left coast before Winter set in, in 69.
like Marcus, I heard a couple of songs on WBAI but it was so long ago I couldn't tell you when it was or where it was in relation to Abbey Road.
here's a wiki quote: "A tape copy of this acetate made its way to America, where it was played on radio stations in Buffalo, New York and Boston over September 1969."
That's my memory of it, except it seems to me there were a couple of weeks interval between buying "Abbey Road", which I'm sure I bought the day it was released, and hearing the songs from "Get Back" I remember thinking how strange it was that they were releasing another new album so soon after "Abbey Road". Little did I know I would have to wait until the following Spring to hear those songs again.
and another: "Abbey Road is the eleventh studio album by English rock band the Beatles, released on 26 September 1969"
Marcus, you know it would still have been disappointing to have heard LIB
even if it were released right after the White album.
The LIB album was a disappointment when it was released because McCartney had just announced that he was leaving, but when I heard a few of the songs right after AR came out, it was exciting because The Beatles had just released AR...and DAMN...here was some new music less than a week or so later.
Yeah, I remember. I played the shit out of that McCartney album. I also
kept going back into the record stores hoping to find new Beatles albums
or singles. Did you? I've never seen this question asked in this group.
Did the McCartney album have a lot of ploppies in it? I know I made
quite a number of crappies after hearing Ooo You.
I assumed their split was temporarily.
Temporarily what?