Nixon's treason in '68 (according to Ken Burns)
Add Reply
Jake D Jude
2017-10-04 18:06:58 UTC
Just watched episode 7 of the Vietnam series, and somehow had never heard that, days before the '68 election, Nixon had people tell the Saigon regime to not attend the Paris talks, and he would make their position much stronger when thereby elected. In the sequence, Burns has Johnson tell Everett Dirksen (as tape runs) that this is treasonous, but then keeps quiet about it because <I forget why>.
(1) Since Nixon won by just 2% (thanks, George!) did this probably affect the outcome?
(2) Why *did* Johnson keep quiet about it (as I say, I forget, though it was explained)?
(3) When did Nixon's maneuver become known to the public? (As I say, I only learned about it tonight (or else have fortotten about it).
Kinda like telling the Russians not to sweat the sanctions, since Trump will rescind them, but worse, I guess.
Or don't release the hostages in Iran until Old Dutch takes office.
Or like telling Medvedev to tell "Vladmir" that he will be able to be
much more "flexible" after the 2012 election.
c***@aol.com
2017-10-04 18:15:35 UTC
Same old rehashed conspiracy treaties. Someone said it's like Burns didn't read a single history of Vietnam written since 1971.
d***@gmail.com
2017-10-05 03:55:06 UTC
What treason? Ted Kennedy spoke directly with Soviet representatives during the Reagan administration and tried to negotiate a separate peace. Nancy Pelosi did much the same during Pres. G.W. Bush's term. Pres Obama was caught on tape advising Medvedev that he would pursue a different policy than the one he publicly espoused, once he was reelected. Politicians are duplicitous, it's what they do....