Paul O'Neill, 61, "Trans-Siberi-yawn Orchestra" -- NOT the MLB player
2017-04-10 03:17:46 UTC
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/al-golin-original-pr-man-for-mcdonalds-dead-at-87/

TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA Mastermind PAUL O'NEILL Passes - "The Entire TSO Family, Past And Present, Is Heartbroken"

April 6, 2017, 3 days ago

The metal world has lost another pioneer, Trans-Siberian Orchestra co-founder and creative force Paul O’Neill. BraveWords received the shocking news via the following statement:

"The entire Trans-Siberian Orchestra family, past and present, is heartbroken to share the devastating news that Paul O’Neill has passed away from chronic illness. He was our friend and our leader -- a truly creative spirit and an altruistic soul. This is a profound and indescribable loss for us all.

We ask that you respect Paul’s family’s privacy now. We will make additional announcements shortly."

O’Neill passed away on April 5th at age 61.

Guitarist Chris Caffery, who first worked with O'Neill when he was writing and producing with Savatage before becoming part the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, has posted the following message:

"At 3:00pm today I started writing an email to a friend. I never sent it because I got so busy, but he was so happy and proud of the Metalphant stuff. He wanted me to work with TSO and some children's clothes. For 33 years he was my boss, my friend. I can't stop crying. I lost someone today that words cannot describe..."

The TSO debut album, Christmas Eve And Other Stories was released in 1996 with "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24" as its cornerstone; the album was certified triple platinum in 2011. It also launched TSO as the touring juggernaut it is today, featuring two companies that tourNorth America every year leading into and during the Christmas holiday season.

"I've always believed that music has the power to transport and transform," O'Neill said in an interview. "The original concept of Trans-Siberian Orchestra was how to make music have the most emotional impact. We always try to write melodies that are so infectious they don't need lyrics and lyrics so poetic that they don’t need a melody, but when you combine the two together they create an alloy where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Once those songs are woven together into a tapestry they create a story which gives each song a third dimension."

"That was so much in the spirit of Trans-Siberian Orchestra. This is a group -- a constantly morphing group -- of extremely creative and talented individuals who are always trying to raise the bar of where a band can take its audience sonically, visually and emotionally. With that as our core ideal, the possibilities are endless."
Sarah Ehrett
2017-04-10 04:55:02 UTC
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 20:17:46 -0700 (PDT), That Derek
Post by That Derek
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/al-golin-original-pr-man-for-mcdonalds-dead-at-87/
TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA Mastermind PAUL O'NEILL Passes - "The Entire TSO Family, Past And Present, Is Heartbroken"
Very sad. Both Ken and I are fans of Savatage and TSO. I have
most if not all of all their CD's.
Post by That Derek
April 6, 2017, 3 days ago
[...]
---
http://www.avg.com
Michael OConnor
2017-04-10 09:32:36 UTC
My niece, when she played the violin in high school, had one of the strings guys from TSO come out to her school to give a lesson to her music class and she got to play the violin with him. I for one love their music and caught them when they came thru Greenville about five years ago. They put on a great show.
Sarah Ehrett
2017-04-15 19:51:07 UTC
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 02:32:36 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
My niece, when she played the violin in high school, had one of the strings guys from TSO come out to her school to give a lesson to her music class and she got to play the violin with him. I for one love their music and caught them when they came thru Greenville about five years ago. They put on a great show.
Oh wow! That is impressive!! I have yet to see a live show. I
play an acoustical guitar so I admire anyone who can play the violin.
Cheers to your niece. :) A real coup to be able to play some music
with a member of TSO.

---
http://www.avg.com
A Friend
2017-04-10 11:24:04 UTC
Post by Sarah Ehrett
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 20:17:46 -0700 (PDT), That Derek
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/al-golin-original-pr-man-for-mcdonalds-dead-
at-87/
TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA Mastermind PAUL O'NEILL Passes - "The Entire TSO
Family, Past And Present, Is Heartbroken"
Very sad. Both Ken and I are fans of Savatage and TSO. I have
most if not all of all their CD's.
Love them. The cheap shot re "Siberi-yawn" in the OP's header is,
frankly, pretty stupid.
Sarah Ehrett
2017-04-15 19:50:53 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by Sarah Ehrett
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 20:17:46 -0700 (PDT), That Derek
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/al-golin-original-pr-man-for-mcdonalds-dead-
at-87/
TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA Mastermind PAUL O'NEILL Passes - "The Entire TSO
Family, Past And Present, Is Heartbroken"
Very sad. Both Ken and I are fans of Savatage and TSO. I have
most if not all of all their CD's.
Love them. The cheap shot re "Siberi-yawn" in the OP's header is,
frankly, pretty stupid.
I caught it as well. No accounting for taste. :))

---
http://www.avg.com
j***@gmail.com
2017-05-31 15:01:27 UTC
[...]
UPDATE (coroner's report)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/coroner-trans-siberian-orchestra-founder-died-of-overdose/ar-BBBGZU2

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Paul O'Neill, the founder of the progressive metal band Trans-Siberian Orchestra, died of an accidental drug overdose, a Florida medical examiner said in a report released Tuesday.
The Hillsborough County Medical Examiner in Tampa wrote in an autopsy report dated May 25 that O'Neill had methadone, codeine, diazepam and an antihistamine in his system when he died April 5 in Tampa. The county released the report on Tuesday.

The cause of death for the 61-year-old was intoxication and the manner of death was drug abuse. He was found dead in a hotel room.

O'Neill was a rock producer and manager who founded Trans-Siberian Orchestra in 1996, blending heavy metal with classical music and creating a unique brand of rock theater. He tapped three members of the Tarpon Springs, Florida, band Savatage to be part of TSO and intended for it to be a "supergroup," similar to popular bands like ELO, Pink Floyd and Yes.

The band is best known for its takes on Christmas staples like "Carol of the Bells," but also more experimental, arena-rock songs such as "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)," which described a lone cello player playing a forgotten holiday song in war-torn Sarajevo. That song was on the band's 1996 album, "Christmas Eve and Other Stories," which went triple platinum.

Fans especially loved the band's Christmas tours, which were heavy on guitar solos and heavier on special effects — similar to a Broadway Christmas pageant with a heavy metal soundtrack. One magazine once wrote that "TSO has enough pyro to BBQ an entire school of blue whales" during a show.

But O'Neill, with his signature flowing locks, sunglasses and leather jackets, was remembered by fans for his deep generosity. He kept a case of silver dollars with him on tour and would hand out coins to fans from the year they were born. Others recalled him tipping waitresses thousands of dollars for a post-show meal and buying drum sets for young fans.

In the hours after his death, the band said in a statement that O'Neill died from a "chronic illness." The band wrote on its website in mid-April that O'Neill had several health issues, from chronic spine problems to Meniere's disease, a disorder of the inner ear.

"For Paul, this was a constant battle, causing him to race against time to write and record as much music as possible, before, like Beethoven, his ears ultimately betrayed him," the band wrote. At the time of his death, he was writing two rock operas.

The band's statement said O'Neill overworked himself, spending weeks alone in the studio, jumping around amid bursts of flame on stage and flying around the U.S. with no sleep, all aggravating his chronic spine problems.

"He would gladly do it for the music and for the fans," the band wrote. "While all witnessed Paul's seemingly superhuman feats, few witnessed afterward the physical toll these took on him."