Ji-Tu Cumbuka, 77, actor (Roots; 3 Richard Pryor movies)
2017-07-05 15:22:50 UTC
http://www.eurweb.com/2017/07/ji-tu-cumbuka-veteran-actor-starred-roots-dies-77/#

WE REMEMBER Ji-Tu Cumbuka: Veteran Actor Who Starred in ‘Roots’ Dies at 77

Submitted by Tene' CroomJuly 5, 2017

Ji-Tu means "giant" in Swahili and Cumbuka means "to remember."

*Ji-Tu Cumbuka, who gained critical acclaim as the “Wrestler” in Alex Haley’s 1977 award winning TV miniseries “Roots” and also for the ‘Toothless Gambler’ in the classic “Harlem Nights” movie passed away at 2:40 a.m. ET on July 4th in Atlanta, Georgia. He was 77 years old.

The world has lost a truly great actor and warrior of all times,” his family said about the “A Giant to Remember” author who spent more than 40 years in Hollywood playing opposite numerous stars including Eddie Murphy and Sophia Loren.

Ji-Tu was a good friend of beloved late actor Richard Pryor and appeared with him in three films: “Harlem Nights,” “Moving,” and “Brewster’s Millions.”

The movie that secured his fame was the 1968 Jules Dassin directed “Uptight” starring Raymond St. Jacques and Ruby Dee. This would be the first time he would appear on the big screen with his younger brother, Robert Holyfield.
c***@aol.com
2017-07-05 15:45:37 UTC
"Starred in" lolololo
Michael OConnor
2017-07-05 15:53:09 UTC
I remember him from that late-70 short-lived Robert Conrad series "A Man Called Sloane" where he was Conrad's sidekick who had a special GI-Joe type hand that he could remove and attach special gadgets to his arm like a gun and drill and knife.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078650/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_37

Here's the intro to the TV show in which he shows off his special hand:

Diner
2017-07-05 20:52:20 UTC
http://youtu.be/B8PFvf7wC70
Yes, that's what I remember him from most. One interesting thing about Cumbuka's role is that in the pilot, he played the villain - but the reaction to his performance was so strong that when it was picked up for a series, he was changed to the hero's sidekick.
Michael OConnor
2017-07-05 21:44:47 UTC
I noticed from the intro to the series that it was a QM series but didn't have the traditional Quinn Martin voiceover intro of the stars and special guest star and episode name. With the series coming out in late 1979, which was late in the Quinn Martin era by my reckoning, I checked on IMDB and discovered "A Man Called Sloane" was the very last new TV series created by QM Productions. Barnaby Jones ended it's run after the 1979-80 TV season. QM Productions produced a couple more TV movies and that was the end of it. According to IMDB, Quinn Martin sold QM productions in the late 70's to Taft Broadcasting, which made him sign a non-compete clause, so Taft dropped that iconic voiceover open.
Louis Epstein
2017-07-06 04:51:27 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
I noticed from the intro to the series that it was a QM series but didn't have the traditional Quinn Martin voiceover intro of the stars and special guest star and episode name. With the series coming out in late 1979, which was
late in the Quinn Martin era by my reckoning, I checked on IMDB and discovered "A Man Called Sloane" was the very last new TV series created by QM Productions. Barnaby Jones ended it's run after the 1979-80 TV season. QM
Productions produced a couple more TV movies and that was the end of it. According to IMDB, Quinn Martin sold QM productions in the late 70's to Taft Broadcasting, which made him sign a non-compete clause, so Taft dropped that
iconic voiceover open.
Wasn't it at the time of sale that "Quinn Martin Productions" became "QM Productions"?

2017-07-06 04:52:08 UTC
http://www.eurweb.com/2017/07/ji-tu-cumbuka-veteran-actor-starred-roots-dies-77/#
WE REMEMBER Ji-Tu Cumbuka: Veteran Actor Who Starred in ?Roots? Dies at 77
Submitted by Tene' Croom?July 5, 2017
Ji-Tu means "giant" in Swahili and Cumbuka means "to remember."
I gather that his birth surname was Banks.