Dave Strauss, 67, 'Mr. Trivia', long-time KMOX radio personality
Add Reply
a***@sympatico.ca
2017-06-11 13:58:32 UTC
I've just learned of the death of Dave Strauss, who made so many Sunday nights enjoyable with his unofficially named 'Trivia Spectacular' radio show. Original Jeopardy! host Art Fleming was his co-pilot for many of those years. In the pre-internet days, it was a must for anyone who just couldn't remember the name of a cherished movie they once saw and whose plot remained clear in their mind or who enjoyed expanding their vast array of knowledge that exists when it comes to trivia, like with the name 'Ethelbert' (What the 'E' stands for in Wile E. Coyote) and the fact the movie 'MASH' is properly spelled without the '*' symbols. A long-time history teacher, Mr. Strauss would also reply to questions people had in that more serious vein. But, the show was mostly about entertainment, sports and other life's distractions.

I remember when I first came across the show. It was quite by accident, as my usual Sunday night radio entertainment had been pre-empted. On my dozen-years-old electromechanical radio, I managed to pick up 1120 KMOX radio in St. Louis from all the way up in Toronto. Initially not wanting to commit to the show, I found myself returning to it in the coming weeks. This was in 1987, long after the show had established itself from its initial broadcast in the late 1970s. I listened to it for a year, then moved away to where I could no longer pick it up. Fast forward to late summer 1992 and moving to Ottawa. Sure enough, I was able to raise it. For more than 3.5 years, I became a full-time listener, through until Mr. Strauss left KMOX in early 1996. I understand he took it to other stations but none were 50,000 watt broadcasters. Still, I enjoyed listening, writing in and even, or rare occasions, phoning in.

Though I never knew Dave Strauss personally, I hope he knew how many people's lives he touched for just a couple of hours a week and how those of us who enjoyed will never forget the time spent on those wonderful Sunday evenings.
jsowers
2017-06-11 18:42:21 UTC
Post by a***@sympatico.ca
[...]
I also remember Art and Dave on KMOX. I listened to it in North Carolina
on my RCA Victor clock-radio on many Sunday nights. That clock-radio had
a great AM-FM tuner in it and could really pull in the stations. The
show lost a lot when Art retired in 1992. They made a very good team and
I enjoyed the show a lot in those pre-internet years.