Dave Strauss, 67, 'Mr. Trivia', long-time KMOX radio personality
Add Reply
a***@sympatico.ca
2017-06-11 13:58:32 UTC
I've just learned of the death of Dave Strauss, who made so many Sunday nights enjoyable with his unofficially named 'Trivia Spectacular' radio show. Original Jeopardy! host Art Fleming was his co-pilot for many of those years. In the pre-internet days, it was a must for anyone who just couldn't remember the name of a cherished movie they once saw and whose plot remained clear in their mind or who enjoyed expanding their vast array of knowledge that exists when it comes to trivia, like with the name 'Ethelbert' (What the 'E' stands for in Wile E. Coyote) and the fact the movie 'MASH' is properly spelled without the '*' symbols. A long-time history teacher, Mr. Strauss would also reply to questions people had in that more serious vein. But, the show was mostly about entertainment, sports and other life's distractions.

I remember when I first came across the show. It was quite by accident, as my usual Sunday night radio entertainment had been pre-empted. On my dozen-years-old electromechanical radio, I managed to pick up 1120 KMOX radio in St. Louis from all the way up in Toronto. Initially not wanting to commit to the show, I found myself returning to it in the coming weeks. This was in 1987, long after the show had established itself from its initial broadcast in the late 1970s. I listened to it for a year, then moved away to where I could no longer pick it up. Fast forward to late summer 1992 and moving to Ottawa. Sure enough, I was able to raise it. For more than 3.5 years, I became a full-time listener, through until Mr. Strauss left KMOX in early 1996. I understand he took it to other stations but none were 50,000 watt broadcasters. Still, I enjoyed listening, writing in and even, or rare occasions, phoning in.

Though I never knew Dave Strauss personally, I hope he knew how many people's lives he touched for just a couple of hours a week and how those of us who enjoyed will never forget the time spent on those wonderful Sunday evenings.
jsowers
2017-06-11 18:42:21 UTC
***@sympatico.ca wrote in

> I've just learned of the death of Dave Strauss, who made so many
> Sunday nights enjoyable with his unofficially named 'Trivia
> Spectacular' radio show. Original Jeopardy! host Art Fleming was his
> co-pilot for many of those years. In the pre-internet days, it was a
> must for anyone who just couldn't remember the name of a cherished
> movie they once saw and whose plot remained clear in their mind or who
> enjoyed expanding their vast array of knowledge that exists when it
> comes to trivia, like with the name 'Ethelbert' (What the 'E' stands
> for in Wile E. Coyote) and the fact the movie 'MASH' is properly
> spelled without the '*' symbols. A long-time history teacher, Mr.
> Strauss would also reply to questions people had in that more serious
> vein. But, the show was mostly about entertainment, sports and other
> life's distractions.
>
> I remember when I first came across the show. It was quite by
> accident, as my usual Sunday night radio entertainment had been
> pre-empted. On my dozen-years-old electromechanical radio, I managed
> to pick up 1120 KMOX radio in St. Louis from all the way up in
> Toronto. Initially not wanting to commit to the show, I found myself
> returning to it in the coming weeks. This was in 1987, long after the
> show had established itself from its initial broadcast in the late
> 1970s. I listened to it for a year, then moved away to where I could
> no longer pick it up. Fast forward to late summer 1992 and moving to
> Ottawa. Sure enough, I was able to raise it. For more than 3.5
> years, I became a full-time listener, through until Mr. Strauss left
> KMOX in early 1996. I understand he took it to other stations but
> none were 50,000 watt broadcasters. Still, I enjoyed listening,
> writing in and even, or rare occasions, phoning in.
>
> Though I never knew Dave Strauss personally, I hope he knew how many
> people's lives he touched for just a couple of hours a week and how
> those of us who enjoyed will never forget the time spent on those
> wonderful Sunday evenings.

I also remember Art and Dave on KMOX. I listened to it in North Carolina
on my RCA Victor clock-radio on many Sunday nights. That clock-radio had
a great AM-FM tuner in it and could really pull in the stations. The
show lost a lot when Art retired in 1992. They made a very good team and
I enjoyed the show a lot in those pre-internet years.
r***@gmail.com
2018-09-11 03:54:55 UTC
On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 8:58:35 AM UTC-5, ***@sympatico.ca wrote:
> I've just learned of the death of Dave Strauss, who made so many Sunday nights enjoyable with his unofficially named 'Trivia Spectacular' radio show. Original Jeopardy! host Art Fleming was his co-pilot for many of those years. In the pre-internet days, it was a must for anyone who just couldn't remember the name of a cherished movie they once saw and whose plot remained clear in their mind or who enjoyed expanding their vast array of knowledge that exists when it comes to trivia, like with the name 'Ethelbert' (What the 'E' stands for in Wile E. Coyote) and the fact the movie 'MASH' is properly spelled without the '*' symbols. A long-time history teacher, Mr. Strauss would also reply to questions people had in that more serious vein. But, the show was mostly about entertainment, sports and other life's distractions.
>
> I remember when I first came across the show. It was quite by accident, as my usual Sunday night radio entertainment had been pre-empted. On my dozen-years-old electromechanical radio, I managed to pick up 1120 KMOX radio in St. Louis from all the way up in Toronto. Initially not wanting to commit to the show, I found myself returning to it in the coming weeks. This was in 1987, long after the show had established itself from its initial broadcast in the late 1970s. I listened to it for a year, then moved away to where I could no longer pick it up. Fast forward to late summer 1992 and moving to Ottawa. Sure enough, I was able to raise it. For more than 3.5 years, I became a full-time listener, through until Mr. Strauss left KMOX in early 1996. I understand he took it to other stations but none were 50,000 watt broadcasters. Still, I enjoyed listening, writing in and even, or rare occasions, phoning in.
>
> Though I never knew Dave Strauss personally, I hope he knew how many people's lives he touched for just a couple of hours a week and how those of us who enjoyed will never forget the time spent on those wonderful Sunday evenings.

I am very glad to hear someone share their memory of Mr. Strauss. I had the honor to have Mr Strauss as a teacher for 3 of my 4 years of history class.
He did more joking then he did teaching, but that was his style. By the time you left his class you knew that years lessons and then some. He would give you your books on the first day of school and tell you to put them in your locker, do not return with them until the end of the year when it's time to turn them in. Because what they tell you in their is half truths and lies. HE would wright and print out study sheets of our subjects, and what he wanted us to know. Mr. Strauss HATED giving test, his test were ALWAYS true or false mainly being true answers. If he had to give you a fill in the blank he was not happy lol. EXAMPLE is he would read the test question to you "WHO WAS IN CHARGE OF GERMANY DURING WWII?" ........ Sorry Mr. Strauss I didn't here the question!........ "JUST WRIGHT DOWN HITLER... TRUST ME" lol.
But that was the way he was. He was a large man but did not let that stop him, he was funny, intellegent, and just about the greatest man you could ever know, and learn from. May he find peace and humor where ever he is.
r***@gmail.com
2018-09-11 04:00:06 UTC
On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 8:58:35 AM UTC-5, ***@sympatico.ca wrote:
> I've just learned of the death of Dave Strauss, who made so many Sunday nights enjoyable with his unofficially named 'Trivia Spectacular' radio show. Original Jeopardy! host Art Fleming was his co-pilot for many of those years. In the pre-internet days, it was a must for anyone who just couldn't remember the name of a cherished movie they once saw and whose plot remained clear in their mind or who enjoyed expanding their vast array of knowledge that exists when it comes to trivia, like with the name 'Ethelbert' (What the 'E' stands for in Wile E. Coyote) and the fact the movie 'MASH' is properly spelled without the '*' symbols. A long-time history teacher, Mr. Strauss would also reply to questions people had in that more serious vein. But, the show was mostly about entertainment, sports and other life's distractions.
>
> I remember when I first came across the show. It was quite by accident, as my usual Sunday night radio entertainment had been pre-empted. On my dozen-years-old electromechanical radio, I managed to pick up 1120 KMOX radio in St. Louis from all the way up in Toronto. Initially not wanting to commit to the show, I found myself returning to it in the coming weeks. This was in 1987, long after the show had established itself from its initial broadcast in the late 1970s. I listened to it for a year, then moved away to where I could no longer pick it up. Fast forward to late summer 1992 and moving to Ottawa. Sure enough, I was able to raise it. For more than 3.5 years, I became a full-time listener, through until Mr. Strauss left KMOX in early 1996. I understand he took it to other stations but none were 50,000 watt broadcasters. Still, I enjoyed listening, writing in and even, or rare occasions, phoning in.
>
> Though I never knew Dave Strauss personally, I hope he knew how many people's lives he touched for just a couple of hours a week and how those of us who enjoyed will never forget the time spent on those wonderful Sunday evenings.

I am very glad to hear someone share their memory of Mr. Strauss. I had the honor to have Mr Strauss as a teacher for 3 of my 4 years of history class.
He did more joking then he did teaching, but that was his style. By the time you left his class you knew that years lessons and then some. He would give you your books on the first day of school and tell you to put them in your locker, do not return with them until the end of the year when it's time to turn them in. Because what they tell you in there is half truths and lies. HE would wright and print out study sheets of our subjects, and what he wanted us to know. Mr. Strauss HATED giving test, his test were ALWAYS true or false mainly being true answers. If he had to give you a fill in the blank he was not happy lol. EXAMPLE is he would read the test question to you "WHO WAS IN CHARGE OF GERMANY DURING WWII?" ........ Sorry Mr. Strauss I didn't here the question!........ "JUST WRIGHT DOWN HITLER... TRUST ME" lol.