Thomson Monson, 90, LDS/Mormon Church prez/big shot
2018-01-03 14:59:50 UTC
http://fox13now.com/2018/01/02/lds-church-president-thomas-s-monson-dies-at-age-90/

LDS church President Thomas S. Monson dies at age 90

Posted 11:57 pm, January 2, 2018, by Todd Tanner and Bob Evans,
Updated at 07:15AM, January 3, 2018

SALT LAKE CITY — President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Thomas S. Monson, has died. He was 90.

LDS Church Director of Media Relations, Eric Hawkins, said Monson died at 10 p.m. Tuesday while surrounded by family at his home in Salt Lake City.

Hawkins said Monson died from “causes incident to age.”

Monson was born in Salt Lake City on August 21, 1927.

His biographer, LDS author and historian Heidi Swinton, said “They didn’t go in the delivery room in those days, but when his father went in to see the baby and the mom, she said to him, ‘I have a young bishop for you.’ And he likes to tell how that was just premonition, because 22 years later he was the bishop of the ward in which he grew up.”

As a young man, he was known for offering charity and assistance to those around him.

“He had that ability to reach out and rescue somebody; to help somebody; to say, “I have something that will make a difference for you”. It has become a moniker of his life,” Swinton said.

President Monson attended West High School in Salt Lake City where he excelled in English and history, served as President of the Spanish Club and as a sergeant in the R.O.T.C.

In 1944, young Tom Monson’s college plans were put on hold as he enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserve and then attended basic training in San Diego in 1945.

After the end of World War II, he resumed his studies at the University of Utah and earned a degree in business.

Tom Monson’s first professional job was as an Assistant Classified Ad Manager for the Deseret News, where a young lady named Frances Beverly Johnson also worked. On October 7th of 1948, she and Tom married in the Salt Lake L.D.S. Temple.

As a bishop, Monson was known for his personal relationships with each member of his congregation. At Christmas each year, he would deliver a chicken to all 86 widows. He continued the tradition until the last one passed away.

Frances gave birth to their son, Tom, in 1951, and daughter Ann, in 1954.

More church callings followed. While serving in a Stake Presidency, his professional career grew as well. He became the Assistant General Manager of the Deseret News Press.

In 1959, Thomas S. Monson was called to preside over the Canada Toronto Mission. His son Clark was born that year, in Canada.

On October 3rd, 1963, then-Church President David O. McKay called President Monson to the Quorum of Twelve Apostles.

During his years as an apostle, Elder Monson helped shape missionary programs of the church around the world.

In 1968, he became the first LDS church official to visit Latter-day Saints in East Germany.

“Tensions were high. Trust and understanding did not exist,” Elder Monson once reflected, adding “the spirit of the Lord came over me, and I spoke words that came not from my lips. I said to the people that evening, “I promise you, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, that if you are true and faithful, every blessing that any member of the church enjoys in any other land, will be yours.”

Dedicated in 1985 in what was then the German Democratic Republic, the Freiberg Germany Temple, was the first LDS temple in a communist state.

On November 10, 1985, Elder Monson was called to serve as Second Counselor to President Ezra Taft Benson. In 1994, he served in the same position for President Howard W. Hunter, and in 1995, served as First Counselor to President Gordon B. Hinckley.

Following President Hinckley’s death in 2008, President Monson was called as the 16th President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

During his time as President, Thomas S. Monson announced the construction of more than 40 new LDS temples around the world.

When President Monson was born, there were fewer than 650,000 church members around the world. When he became Church President, there were more than 13 million members worldwide.

President Monson and his Counselors met with U.S. President George W. Bush on May 29, 2008, in Salt Lake City. He also met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office at the White House on July 20, 2009, where he presented President Obama with five volumes of his personal family history.

President Monson did not meet with President Obama during his visit to Utah in April 2015. A church spokesperson indicated President Monson needed to preserve his strength for General Conference the following weekend.

In recent years, a decline in President Monson’s health became noticeable. Two years ago, Church spokesperson Eric Hawkins released this statement:

“He comes to the office every day, attends all First Presidency and committee meetings, leads the discussion and makes decisions. The workload of the First Presidency is up to date. President Monson has always been private about his health, but appreciates the prayers and sustaining support of church members, as do all of the First Presidency and the Twelve.”

But his conference talks became shorter, and he was absent for two of the sessions of the General Conference in October 2017.

President Monson’s wife Francis preceded him in death, in May of 2013.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been announced
c***@aol.com
2018-01-03 15:08:42 UTC
So is the next guy in line 89?
Louis Epstein
2018-01-03 19:03:11 UTC
Post by c***@aol.com
So is the next guy in line 89?
Ninety-three,actually.
Russell M. Nelson,born September 9th 1924.

Succession is by seniority as an Apostle,not by age...
he is the second-oldest church president ever to succeed,
after Joseph Fielding Smith (Jr.) who was born in July 1876
and succeeded in January 1970 after being an Apostle since 1910.

Monson was the last Apostle elevated by David O. McKay,
the president before JFS Jr. who became an Apostle in 1906
thanks to JFS Sr.,the son of the older brother of the man
who started the Church in 1830.

The next two guys in line were born in 1932 and 1928.

2018-01-03 19:13:44 UTC
It’s a glorified cult
Alfalfa Bill
2018-01-04 03:07:30 UTC
Post by c***@aol.com
It’s a glorified cult
I believe that God has a plan for all of us
I believe that plan involves me getting my own planet
And I believe that the current President of the Church, Thomas Monson, speaks directly to God
I am a Mormon!
And, dang it, a Mormon just believes! (A Mormon just believes!)
Louis Epstein
2018-01-04 08:27:38 UTC
Post by Alfalfa Bill
It?s a glorified cult
I believe that God has a plan for all of us
I believe that plan involves me getting my own planet
And I believe that the current President of the Church, Thomas Monson, speaks directly to God
As noted,he is now deceased.
Post by Alfalfa Bill
I am a Mormon!
And, dang it, a Mormon just believes! (A Mormon just believes!)
(If this is a quote from the musical...are they going to revise it?)

Alfalfa Bill
2018-01-05 00:11:24 UTC
Post by Alfalfa Bill
I am a Mormon!
And, dang it, a Mormon just believes! (A Mormon just believes!)
(If this is a quote from the musical...are they going to revise it?)
Yes, it is from the musical.

When Hair was touring the lyrics were changed from Johnson to Nixon at one place.
Terry del Fuego
2018-01-05 15:37:30 UTC
"LBJ took the IRT" became "Tricky Dick took the IRT".
Kenny McCormack
2018-01-05 17:32:03 UTC
Post by Alfalfa Bill
When Hair was touring the lyrics were changed from Johnson to Nixon at one place.
"LBJ took the IRT" became "Tricky Dick took the IRT".
I imagine that if a revival went on tour today, it'd be changed to
reference the "Orange Baboon".
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/ModernXtian
c***@aol.com
2018-01-05 20:38:40 UTC
Not the blonde cunt?
Louis Epstein
2018-01-06 18:17:37 UTC
Post by Alfalfa Bill
When Hair was touring the lyrics were changed from Johnson to Nixon at one place.
"LBJ took the IRT" became "Tricky Dick took the IRT".
And at the end of that song "L...B...J" became a stretched out
"Tricky Dick".
Post by Kenny McCormack
I imagine that if a revival went on tour today, it'd be changed to
reference the "Orange Baboon".
So they'd substitute Afghanistan for Vietnam?

Not sure the show would work except as a period piece.

2018-01-06 18:56:55 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
I imagine that if a revival went on tour today, it'd be changed to
reference the "Orange Baboon".
I just saw it in August of 2015 and for the life of me can't remember
if "Initials" was even included. There are certain core songs that
everyone knows and every company feels obligated to perform, but there
are a bunch of others that come and go depending on the production.
This particular mounting included bits of dialog[ue] that in prior
versions had been song lyrics.

Like Tr*mp's "speeches", much of "Hair" plays better in the original
German:

Louis Epstein
2018-01-06 18:13:54 UTC
Post by Alfalfa Bill
Post by Alfalfa Bill
I am a Mormon!
And, dang it, a Mormon just believes! (A Mormon just believes!)
(If this is a quote from the musical...are they going to revise it?)
Yes, it is from the musical.
When Hair was touring the lyrics were changed from Johnson to Nixon at one place.
On Broadway as well (where I saw it in 1971).