Joel Neville - Aaron's wife
Louisiana Lou
2007-01-05 16:58:39 UTC
Just announced by Bob French on WWOZ. She died in Memphis, where she
and Aaron had been living since Katrina. They had been married for 47
years, if I'm not mistaken. She was diagnosed w/ lung cancer in 2004.

RIP
Bill Schenley
2007-01-06 01:32:21 UTC
Post by Louisiana Lou
Just announced by Bob French on WWOZ. She died
in Memphis, where she and Aaron had been living since
Katrina. They had been married for 47 years, if I'm not
mistaken. She was diagnosed w/ lung cancer in 2004.
RIP
Man, that's a drag. Joel (pronounced JOE-el) was not only his wife but
his glue, too.

She was also a songwriter (Yellow Moon, for one) and piano player.

Aaron Neville never sang a song that he didn't own afterwards.
King Daevid MacKenzie
2007-01-06 01:59:39 UTC
Post by Bill Schenley
Aaron Neville never sang a song that he didn't own afterwards.
...including "A Change is Gonna Come"? Sorry, but that Neville remake
fell way short of not only the Sam Cooke original and the Solomon Burke
and (in a medley) Elvin Bishop retreads in my book. Still, that is an
exception, and most of Aaron's misfires are worth more than many others'
peak performances...
--
King Daevid MacKenzie

"You can live in your dreams, but only if you are worthy of them."
HARLAN ELLISON
Louisiana Lou
2007-01-06 02:01:25 UTC
She died in Nashville, not Memphis.
-------------------------
Wife of singing legend Aaron Neville dies at 66
1/5/2007, 7:39 p.m. CT
The Associated Press
http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisiana/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/1168047873139160.xml&storylist=louisiana

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Joel Roux-Neville, the wife of singing legend
Aaron Neville, died Friday after a battle with lung cancer. She was 66.

Roux-Neville was first diagnosed with the disease in 2004 and at that
time was given three months to live. She died at the couple's home south
of Nashville surrounded by family members, her husband's publicist,
Jerry Digney said Friday evening.

The couple moved to the Nashville area in 2005 shortly after Hurricane
Katrina devastated their hometown of New Orleans.

The high school sweethearts would have celebrated their 48th wedding
anniversary on Wednesday, Digney said in a news release.

"Joel was the love of my life and she had a tremendous courage and
spirit — I'm sure God will reward her for her loyalty, good heart and
sense of family," her husband said in a statement.

Funeral arrangements in New Orleans were pending.

A member of the R&B family The Neville Brothers, Aaron has sung pop,
blues, soul, gospel, jazz and country. He's best known for his 1966 hit
"Tell It Like It Is" and his two duets with Linda Ronstadt — "I Don't
Know Much" in 1989 and "All My Life" in 1990 — both Grammy winners.

While Roux-Neville never performed with her husband's family, she was a
fixture in the New Orleans music scene for decades, Digney said.
Bill Schenley
2007-01-06 08:19:14 UTC
Post by King Daevid MacKenzie
Post by Bill Schenley
Aaron Neville never sang a song that he didn't own
afterwards.
...including "A Change is Gonna Come"?
Heh ... Yep.
Post by King Daevid MacKenzie
Sorry, but that Neville remake fell way short of not only
the Sam Cooke original and the Solomon Burke and
(in a medley) Elvin Bishop retreads in my book. Still,
that is an exception, and most of Aaron's misfires are
worth more than many others' peak performances...
It's funny ... When I typed the above sentence I wondered if anyone
would bring up Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna' Come."

I'm a pretty big Sam Cooke fan but I think Aaron Neville's cover from
2001 or 2002 is better. Not sure which version you're referring to.
The one from "Bring It On Home" is much different from the ones he
recorded a few years back ... and the one from BIOH is, at least in my
opinion, the weakest of the three different Aaron Neville versions I
have.

And I know this is a sacrilege ... but I also like the Aaron
Neville/Trisha Yearwood version of "I Fall to Pieces" better than Patsy
Clines ... and I even love Patsy Cline's corny stuff ...
King Daevid MacKenzie
2007-01-06 13:08:01 UTC
Post by Bill Schenley
[...]
...the only Neville version of "A Change is Gonna Come" I have heard is
on a radio format sampler dating from around 1989-1990 (I assume that
should narrow down the source)...
Post by Bill Schenley
And I know this is a sacrilege ... but I also like the Aaron
Neville/Trisha Yearwood version of "I Fall to Pieces" better than Patsy
Clines ... and I even love Patsy Cline's corny stuff ...
...my own favourite version of "I Fall to Pieces" is by Michael Nesmith
& The First National Band, on their LOOSE SALUTE album...