Country star Vern Gosdin dies at 74
a***@gmail.com
2009-04-29 13:56:11 UTC
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090429/TUNEIN/90429005/1005/ENTERTAINMENT

Country music star Vern Gosdin, known for such hits as "Set 'em Up
Joe" and "I Can Tell By the Way You Dance (You're Gonna Love Me
Tonight)," died at midnight tonight. He was 74.

Gosdin, who suffered "a pretty bad stroke" about three weeks ago, died
peacefully in his sleep at a Nashville hospital, his administrative
assistant Dawn Hall said this morning.

A one-time bandmate of The Byrds' Chris Hillman, Gosdin covered a
variety of musical styles, working early in a bluegrass act and even
writing a song that appeared on the soundtrack to the rock biker
classic Easy Rider.

But Gosdin found his greatest success doing mainstream country, as he
scored No. 1 singles with "I Can Tell by the Way You Dance," the
Ernest Tubb quasi-tribute "Set 'Em Up" and "I'm Still Crazy."

His recording of "Chiseled in Stone" claimed the Country Music
Association's song of the year honor in 1989, and George Strait found
success by rerecording Gosdin's hit "Today My World Slipped Away."

He was born in Woodland, Ala., on Aug. 5, 1934.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete.
t***@iwvisp.com
2009-04-30 05:22:29 UTC
[...]
The last Conway Twitty concert I would have seen in the summer of 1993
had Vern on the bill. Now they're together.

Ray Arthur
Bill Schenley
2009-04-30 08:38:06 UTC
How do you know that? And I want an answer ...
busgal
Actualy it was spring 1993. Conway died early in June.
t***@iwvisp.com
2009-05-01 02:20:27 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
The last Conway Twitty concert I would have seen
in the summer of 1993 had Vern on the bill.  Now
they're together.
How do you know that?  And I want an answer ...
How do I know they're together Bill? Man you're tough. BTW, that
brings up an interesting sub thread. When I was a Country D J, off &
on from '71 to ''88, there were three Country singers who were rumored
to have killed a man: Jerry Lee Lewis, David Allen Coe, and Vern
Gosdin. Most knowledgeable industry people thought it was goofy P R
for JLL and Coe, but when anyone talked about Gosdin it always was a
short and quiet conversation! If you believe in an afterlife, I'm
pretty sure Conway went north. Now Vern...
Actually it was spring 1993. Conway died early in June.
I don't know when it was to start, but Conway's summer '93 tour was
Conway, Charlie Daniels Band or Vern Gosdin, depending on the date,
and Pirates of the MS to open. He was booked in Bakersfield mid-
summer. He died on June 5th of heart failure due to complications
from a stomach aneurysm.

Ray Arthur
busgal
Loved Pirates of the MS. "A Street Man called Desire
l***@gmail.com
There is no such thing a "stomach aneurysm" and it wasn't "heart failure." It was a "abdominal aortic aneurysm." The aorta is the largest blood vessel in the human body. It carries blood from your heart up to your head and arms and down to your abdomen, legs, and pelvis. The walls of the aorta can swell or bulge out like a small balloon if they become weak. This is called an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) when it happens in the part of the aorta that’s in your abdomen.
MJ Emigh
2017-09-04 03:21:19 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
Actually it was spring 1993.
it wasn't "heart failure." It was a "abdominal aortic aneurysm."
I kinda figured that someone would blow the cover-up within a quarter century. We finally know the truth!