Jim Vance, longtime Washington DC TV anchor, 75
2017-07-23 05:48:50 UTC
http://wtop.com/dc/2017/07/nbc-washington-anchor-jim-vance-dies-at-75/

NBC Washington anchor Jim Vance dies at 75

By Hanna Choi
July 22, 2017 9:46 am

WASHINGTON — Local news anchorman Jim Vance, who anchored for NBC Washington for more than four decades, has died, NBC Washington announced on its website Saturday. He was 75.

“We are heartbroken to announce that Jim Vance died this morning,” NBC Washington’s President and General Manager Jackie Bradford wrote on NBC Washington’s website.

“For more than 45 years, Jim Vance was not only the soul of NBC4 but of the entire Washington area. His smooth voice, brilliant mind and unforgettable laugh leaves each of us with a tremendous void,” she wrote.

Vance had recently announced that he was battling cancer. He had manned the anchor desk this summer in between treatments, telling concerned viewers, “I have been coming into work with my partners here whenever I can, and I shall continue to do that. In fact, I will insist on doing that.”

As the region’s longest-serving television news anchor, according to The Washington Post, Vance spent three years as a reporter before taking the helm as weekend anchor in 1970 and becoming co-anchor of NBC Washington’s daily newscasts in 1972.

He was inducted into the National Association of Black Journalists’ Hall of Fame in 2007, and won a total of 17 Emmy awards, according to NBC Washington. Vance was also awarded the Ted Yates Award for outstanding community service and honored as “Washingtonian of the Year” by the Washingtonian magazine in 1976.
“Jim loved his job, his family and Washington with all his heart, and we will all cherish the legacy he has left us forever,” Bradford wrote.

“To everyone in the Washington area who is heartbroken today, please know we grieve right along with you.”
Anglo Saxon
2017-07-23 06:09:47 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
http://wtop.com/dc/2017/07/nbc-washington-anchor-jim-vance-dies-at-75/
“For more than 45 years, Jim Vance was not only the soul of NBC4 but of
the entire Washington area. His smooth voice, brilliant mind and
unforgettable laugh leaves each of us with a tremendous void,”.....
Well, WTF is that place going to do, now that it has NO SOUL? Gotta go out
and find someone else who has a smooth voice and an annoying laugh, I
guess. The "brilliant mind" part - that means the ability to read two-
syllable words without stumbling too badly.

I'm surprised at how disgusted I am with this shameless crap.
Teleprompter reader = Soul of Millions. Cut to commercial.

Prefer reading about his enjoyment of canasta and catching that giant fish
one summer. Anything to help fill the "tremendous void" these sorrowing
citizens are staggering around with.
Sarah Ehrett
2017-07-23 18:54:29 UTC
On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 22:48:50 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
http://wtop.com/dc/2017/07/nbc-washington-anchor-jim-vance-dies-at-75/
NBC Washington anchor Jim Vance dies at 75
By Hanna Choi
July 22, 2017 9:46 am
WASHINGTON — Local news anchorman Jim Vance, who anchored for NBC Washington for more than four decades, has died, NBC Washington announced on its website Saturday. He was 75.
“We are heartbroken to announce that Jim Vance died this morning,” NBC Washington’s President and General Manager Jackie Bradford wrote on NBC Washington’s website.
He said he loved what he did. I will miss him dearly. He was on
point all the time and often funny as he gave us the hard and not so
hard news stories. Here is one of my favorite clips from his
career:
Saw it LIVE
and we were in hysterics as well.

Rest in Peace, Jim. Thanks for everything.